Customer reviews

The Diplomat's Wife
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 August 2017
Oh my god, what a book!! If you're interested in historical thrillers with a beautiful romance thread then this is the book for you. As the sequel to The Kommandant's Girl you must read that first as there are many references to characters from that novel which wouldn't have the same impact if you have no read TKG.
This book is full of unpredictable twists and turns, I had no idea things would turn out the way they did. I preferred this to TKG, as it had more action, the stakes were higher, and the plot twists were strong and plausible enough to allow me to finish the book in 5 hours!
Such a phenomenal novel, one of the best books of its genre I have read.
Jenoff is an amazing author. I've never read books like hers before, the way she writes is the perfect balance of romance, description, and tension, she's become an inspiration to me already after reading two of her novels.
on 5 March 2017
Quite an enjoyable story. Didn't expect the twist in the ending. Easy book to read because it kept you interested. Look forward to reading more from this author.
on 8 December 2014
Wow good following book to the commandments wife was a bit slow to start but got really good as it went on if you haven't already read a Pam Jenoff book yet give her a go
on 27 May 2014
Well this writer surely makes you keep your attention active, with so many twists and turns in the story, makes an exciting read.
on 14 August 2017
Brilliant. Just started the second book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 May 2008
This is almost a direct follow-on from Kommandant's Girl and I think you probably need to have read that first. It's shame that the back cover gives away a major plot point so if it's possible try to avert your eyes from that!

I really enjoyed Kommandant's Girl (although was very uncomfortable with the ethics of building what is essentially a love story on a charismatic and sexy Nazi...) and I don't know whether other people felt the same way but certainly here Jenoff has an American as her 'hero' fighting the Soviets in the aftermath of WW2/start of the Cold War.

Marta is far less interesting as a character than Emma/Anna and her narrative voice is the same; and many of the plot points remain unchanged: the woman pregnant by one man, married to another; the idea of a woman 'forced' into a sexual relationship (although both the reasons and the emotions are very different here) etc. So this is a kind of re-run of the first book in my view but with all the moral ambiguities that made the KG so interesting now ironed out. The plot also unfortunately gets increasingly silly so that it was quite difficult to stifle the giggles at the end...

This is an easy and engaging read, but while KG resonated in my mind after finishing it, this one is quite forgettable. However it does bring a closure to the story started in KG so if you want to know how Emma/Jacob's story ends, it's here.
on 11 December 2008
Although this book is very similar to the first in the sense of a forbidden relationship ariseing, its still fab, as others mention in their reviews the story line is a little far fetched in some places compared to the first book, but I still fell in love with this book.
Again, like the first book, I read it so fast and couldn't put it down!
I felt this book was a little lighter than the first, if that makes sense, there is the American hero, and the unlikely geekish girl who lands him, and I love that!
But I recommend not to read the back when it arrives, as it gives away the story, I read it when i bought it, but then forgot it before it arrived and just got stuck in there and was glad, if I'd re-read the back and refreshed my memory, I wouldnt have been so gripped, id have known what was coming.
It is definately Pauls character that kept me glued to the pages, you instantly fall in love with him, he's that perfect, heroic guy that we all know doesn't really exist hehe ;)and this book leaves you on a high at the end, and happy.
I dont think this leaves you in as much turmoil as Kommandants girls, there is much less sadness in this in my opinion, although at points you despair at what's happened, it all comes right, a really wonderful book!
I want to read more!
I will definately buy more book by Jenoff if she writes more!
on 14 December 2008
I found myself becoming increasingly irritated by the number of mistakes in this totally unbelievable concoction. For example, a transistor radio was mentioned at one point, whereas as far as I know they did not become available until the 1960's. And were married women with young children allowed to stay on at work in the British Civil Service in the 1940's? As for the story line, the more I read the more unbelievable it became, until I finally gave up at page 261. What a waste of my time!
on 27 February 2013
I read the Kommandant's wife and thought it was strong in parts and weak in others. The Diplomat's Wife is weak which is a shame because there was a lot of potential there. I liked the idea of moving on from Emma's story to Marta's story but I ended up wanting to learn more about Emma and what happened to her. I also got bored of Marta's story and ended up skimming over the last few chapters just to get to the end. Some of the characters were very one dimensional. I think Pam Jenoff should put the plot together and someone else should write it.
on 6 July 2015
I really wanted to read this after finishing The Kommandant’s Girl. I’m fairly certain I didn’t even read the blurb (which I always do) before I read it. When I found out that it was about Martha I was a bit disappointed, I wanted to know what happened to Emma next. It’s not that I hadn’t liked Martha in The Kommandant’s Girl, I was just satisfied with how her story had been left, I would rather have known what happened to Emma when she left for the mountains.

I would still like to know what happened to Emma, but it didn’t take me long to get dragged into Martha’s story, and then I mainly forgot that she was even connected to Emma. Her past was important, so in that sense it was good to have the knowledge from The Kommandant’s Girl, but it wasn’t crucial.

The Diplomat’s Wife is less of an overtly political novel than The Kommandant’s Girl, and a lot of the time it felt more…normal. I wasn’t really expecting anything exciting, and the best bits of the story were at the beginning and the end, with the story carrying on well enough in the middle to keep me going.

I liked Martha more by the end of The Diplomat’s Wife than I had at the end of The Kommandant’s Girl. I admired her at the end of The Kommandant’s Girl, but she felt more real by the end of her own story.