on 14 October 2012
Howard Hewer has written a straightforward autobiography, starting pre-war, going through joining up, then training, then on to operations and then in this case to post operational antics. It is an interesting book and is filled with little stories that keep you reading on, from the accidental shooting of a cow, to being attacked by a Ju88 whilst training in an Anson.

The Canadian author was a radio operator in Wellingtons and flew operations in Europe before moving on to North Africa. He gives the reader plenty of information about what a radio operator did and also describes the equipment and how it worked. All very interesting. This book doesn't focus only on flying; there are plenty of stories about what went on when aircrews weren't on operations. He also gives an insight into the pressures and fears that all aircrew felt and describes how it affected different members of his crew. At one point, due to poor leadership, he and the rest of the squadron were involved in a near mutiny. All great stuff.

With his tour of duty over Howard Hewer went on to have a boys own adventure behind enemy lines at El Alamain, looking for suitable airfields from which to fly fighter aircraft.

This book is well worth a read. I can't believe I've had the privilege of being the first reviewer.
on 16 April 2016
In fairness, I haven't finished this book yet but it is so good. So well told. So detailed. This book must have a place up there with the best books telling of WW2 Royal Air Force. When you read this book you get an excellent insight into how bomber crews felt and how they dealt with their fears. I have trouble putting it down, I love picking it up again, I am almost breathless after some parts of the narrative and I often stop to ponder Howard Hewer's words. The debt we owe people like Howard Hewer is hard to define so many years after the event but time does not diminish it and it is an honour for me to give this book 5 stars.

Okay, finished this at 0430 this morning. What a great book (and he even knew my step-dad). At the moment I'm going through the gazing out of the window and having deep thoughts stage...

The last paragraph gets me 'right there': I never considered myself a brave man. But I was put into the company of brave men, and I could not very well let them down. I don't believe I did.

The book is a roller-coaster ride and it's all true
on 14 April 2015
A great book, written by a chap who did his bit in the war. He not only knows how to write a good story, but it is more interesting because he is Canadian and tells the story from a Canadian perspective. The surprising part of the story is that although the Canadians were volunteers who
gladly came to fight what was not really "their war" many of the officers of the RAF were so snobby they treated the "colonials" almost like criminals.
This is a great book showing the air war in a warts'n all fashion, telling what it was like for the majority of aircrew who were not officers. Well worth reading.