Format: DVD|Change
Price:£23.47+ £1.26 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on 25 April 2014
None of the reviews actually coincide with one very important factor...The film is good..we can see that..the actors are good..we know that too..but the reviews are pitched alongside the Blu Ray 4K edition.. Are these reviews taking that into account - or are they just film reviews and have not been seen with 4K equipment..if so..Amazon..could you do a touch of separation here and we can get to understand if we are going to get the correct feedback on the whole matter..so that we can differentiate and hear what the 4K version is like. The price hike will come into force and therefore will matter...Thanks
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2016
It is boring with no real story to it. You'd thing this is was about a young 14 year old boy beginning romantic life plus acting as - I'm the big boy here.
on 15 November 2011
I am not going to go into the film or even the extras contained on the disc! It's a classic, bench-mark piece of American cinema history so there is no need. The picture quality is so inconsistent throughout it's infuriating. The two & half minute opening titles look like a camcorder pirate, other shots are out of focus & the classic end sequence looks like a bad quality DVD! If you are upgrading from DVD don't bother or if you are getting the film for the first time get the 2 disc DVD. I have a 50" full HD 600Hz TV & a mid range SONY Blu-ray player so no room for viewer error, avoid.
66 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2016
After growing up and constantly hearing about this film, and how brilliant it is etc, I finally watched it. And have to say just how disappointed I am. Tedious, boring, couple of words I would use. It's time I'll never get back -I kept at it in the hope it would improve. It didnt. I love movies, and i love movie history, but this film, did absolutely nothing for me.
on 18 December 2014
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Tedious and shallow
on 8 June 2012
This could have been a good film. However, the five minutes Jodie Foster is on screen is the only bit worth watching twice.

Boring, unrealistic and tedious.

I suspect I will get a few comments from the insecure 'fans' who cannot handle an opinion different from theirs.
77 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2016
Weird as hell
on 13 August 2011
When I first saw Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976), I got that sweet nauseating smell of New York cabs again - a mix of vomit and sperm. So felt the whole movie, which, before seeing again now, I only remembered as a trivial story of good and bad, with a very brutal shoot-out towards the end. Well, standards change over time: This time, the shoot-out looked rather mild and ketchuppy. All the rest was as remembered, only worse. How the American Film Institute ever ranked Taxi Driver as the 52nd greatest American film ever made on their AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) list remains a mystery. Or shows how little ranking charts are actually worth.

Actors are poorly led along stereotype lines, and that such treasures of the acting profession as Cybill Shepherd (The Last Picture Show) and Harvey Keitel (The Two Jakes) give their best to give their roles some profile and still fail tells (me) all: The script is crap: the story hollow, the dialogues appalling, and directorship, at best, weak. If you have any doubts, watch any of the documentations on the filming (also on the dvd), which are endless talk of everybody simultaneously, but at least make you understand what kind of chaos this filming must have been, and at what low professional level this all took place. The actors coming out best are - ladies first - 13 year old Jodie Foster, who did nothing, and Robert de Niro, who did everything.

I am not writing this because I want to be different from the mainstream reviews, but because it seems unbelievable that there should be only few to see what is really happening, even at a distance of 35 years! Is that how legends are made and kept? That's why I have made it a rule not to show any film before having seen the specific copy I want to show again: There are often surprises, rarely these days with the dvd, but with the film itself. So better be prepared.
1717 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 August 2004
Well, after hearing so so much about this film i decided to purchase it.
It was shorter than i thought it was going to be for a "masterpeice". The first hour is just boring, and when it finally gets into the best parts, its all over too quickly, and about 6 months of time is taken up in about 1 minute with news paper clippings.
This film is very overrated.
on 16 December 2000
A film classic (apparently) about a Vietnam veteran who becomes a taxi driver and then lets himself be broken down by the misery and the meaninglessness of modern society.
Seen with Year 2000 eyes, »Taxi Driver« does not have a great deal of appeal. It has purely historical value.
The best things you can say about this film is the very beautiful photographing and cameraing, plus that it is interesting to watch very young Robert DeNiro's and even younger Jodie Foster's already then great talents. You also get glimpses of Harvey Keitel and Jeff Goldblum.
Do watch »Taxi Driver«, 'cause it is one of those classics that you have to have seen. But don't expect too much.
88 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse