Customer reviews

on 2 March 2017
Gripping storyline. Makes the imagination run wild
Kitty is back in Denver with her tail between her legs after revealing the vampire conspiracy of the Long Game on air. With her producer keeping a close eye on her, she's on her best behaviour during her radio show, The Midnight Hour all the while worrying about what Dux Bellorum might be up to whilst she's playing it safe. When a mysterious vampire comes looking for Rick and a new werewolf lopes into town, she can just tell life's not going to be trouble free.

After feeling the series was back on track with Kitty Steals the Show, this was a bit of a non-event. The ingredients are there; an ancient Catholic vampire who promises Rick the one this he's been missing in his unlife sounds like it would be packed with potential. But instead, they hide out in a church for the majority of the book. Kitty is trying to get her career back on track, mostly by being a bit normal and boring in her shows. There's a new werewolf in town and his plotline wasn't full of surprises either.

I know the Long Game is, well, a long game but it goes from being an imminent threat in one book to a background noise in the next. I want something major to happen. I want some chaos and danger; a taste of which rears its head near the end, but mostly it was just going through the motions. It's an OK book, I really like Kitty and it's a quick and easy read but I'm not sure I'll remember much of it by the time I read the next book. Yes, I'm not giving up on the series just yet, because when there's a good one, I love it. And I want to see the Long Game play out... even if it takes a long time.

I'm still really disappointed in Cormac. I know he had a personality transplant in jail but he just seems a bit of a weak character now. Perhaps that's because Amelia is a weak character and yet she's taken him over. I don't want to break Kitty and Ben up but I want that spark of the old Cormac back. Even if it has to be with someone else. I think Ben might have been the bets part for once...he's really starting to grow into his alpha status.
on 24 March 2013
this is the next instalment in Kitty's life.I love this series .This time the lone wolf who wants to join her pack decides to challenge her for the leadership A catholic vampire priest (!) comes to town &her friend & vampire master Rick vanishes.Cormac/Amelia uses magic to try & help(it causes more of a problem)throw in her phone in on radio with all the uaual crazies,& you have an amusing slice of Kitty's life.....& did i mention the fallen angel ...or is it a demon!
Things are rather getting on top of Kitty. Her producer is watching her show where the ratings are dropping, her sister seems to be appealing for help, she knows that the Long Game is soon to reach its climax, a visiting Catholic vampire priest is engaging her friend Rick, her partner wants her to move house, and there is a new werewolf in town who seems to be causing trouble.

This is a pleasant shift in emphasis for Kitty - away from the big issues and back to the day to day grind. She is a DJ but also a sister, daughter and alpha to a group of unsettled wolves. Kitty has to re-examine herself and decide what is important to her - and also who is on her side. Her desire to fix everyone's troubles gets her into more bother than she can really cope with but she lives always with the certainty that the vampire revolution is at hand.

This is a well told story that most of us can relate to - who hasn't had too many demands on their time ? Ben is his usual rock at Kitty's side and shows his own strength at times here. Cormac is developing his own preoccupations (this happens when you are possessed by the ghost of a Victorian witch). Kitty feels very alone at times in this book and then she realises that she has a lot of friends and loyalty to back her up - as usual, she tries to fight with words and reason rather than claws and violence.

I really enjoyed this book although I suspect that it would be lost on anyone who hasn't read the previous novels in the series. I don't think that it moves the overall story much further forward but it does strengthen Kitty's position - the big battle must be imminent. I am not at all sure what the title has to do with anything though ....
on 6 December 2013
As you would expect Carrie Vaughan does not have damsels in distress without claws it's a tale most would enjoy as I did so would recommend
on 6 May 2013
I really enjoy the Kitty books but its been a while since I enjoyed one quite as much as this. It focuses on Kitty as an alpa, a daughter and a sister which are things the grand plot of the series has overshadowed.This was a great read, I couldn't put it down. This is Midnight Hour Kitty, a Kitty I have been missing. Recommened if you liked the first.
on 7 February 2015
Carrie Vaughn has done it again with this book. The flow was strong, really good. The characters were strong and the story drew a line in the sand. The series keeps going from strength to strength.
on 2 March 2014
A fantastic read excellent storyline. Can't wait to read the next book author is very imaginative. Well worth a read.
on 12 November 2013
Excellent story as usual, if you like fantasy this author is one of the best, i have the entire collection.
on 9 May 2013
It was a bit the same as some of the other books. I felt that this series is running out of steam.