Customer reviews

on 26 March 2014
I started reading this series out of order (began with He Drank, and Saw the Spider (Eddie Lacrosse)) and was so impressed I wanted to begin with the first novel, The Sword-Edged Blonde (Eddie LaCrosse Novel). From there it was a no-brainer for me to order the other books. This one is the second in the series and was a tiny let-down for me, teetering on the edge between three and four stars. Because Bledsoe was able to make me want to finish the book I decided to go with the four stars. Granted, the books are fantasy so I shouldn't be surprised when I encounter fantasy within the pages, but the dragon myth focus in this one didn't seem as interesting or even entertaining as the two previous novels I've read. What I did like was the development in Eddie's character. The growth in his relationship with Liz didn't take the focus off the "sword-jockey" aspect, which is what I read these books for, but it came a little too close for comfort at times. I'm not looking for a fantasy romance novel so I prefer having more sword and dagger fight scenes than bedroom action scenes. This one came a-l-m-o-s-t too close to having the bedroom take up too much of the story. I'm really hoping that will take up less attention now that Liz and Eddie are very firmly established as a loving couple.

This book has quite a long excerpt from Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse Novels) in it so now I'm all ready to begin the next adventure.
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2014
Really enjoyed the first Eddie LaCrosse novel, a refreshing change in a genre that is hard to be different in. Here we have moved forward a couple of years, Eddie has a girlfriend and continues his “sword jockey” investigator lifestyle. Except that when a dishevelled girl runs into his path, his attempt to help her goes wrong and sets in train a series of events that pit Eddie up against some very bad people…

This was okay, but misses the magic from the first book which did raise some high expectations and they are not reached here with a fairly average story. LaCrosse continues to be an interesting character and there are hints of the depth of the first novel, but over all a bit average. Given the heights the author has demonstrated with the Sword Edged Blonde, I shall probably continue with the series but slightly in hope rather than expectation.