Customer reviews

on 28 September 2003
This book was my first order from Amazon, and I was in no way disappointed.
I'm a programmer. My favourite languages (before .NET) were/are Visual Basic and ASP. Just lately there's been so much hype and praise about the .NET languages, I wanted to check out what it was all about.
I converted my site ([...]) from just HTML (.html/.htm) to ASP, and shortly after learnt the basics of ASP .NET and "upgraded" it again. I've never looked back. Things make so much more sense.
I decided to buy this book mainly because I prefer to have a "bible" reference to programming... a book, which you can return to if you forget something. And I think I've found it. No, I know I've found it.
The book is obviously aimed at people starting at ASP .NET... like me. Bill Hatfield knows that the .NET Framework isn't a simple topic to people looking to get on the ladder, and utilizes his experience to explain everything along the way. Which is the best way to do it.
Superb book. I fully recommend it.
on 22 October 2003
This book does exactly it says on the tin.
From the first chapter you are hooked in to wanting to learn more and more about ASP.Net. Brilliant for beginners who want to know what ASP.Net is all about.
As a programmer with no .Net experience, i was a bit unsure about how Microsoft would change ASP but after reading the book I am a convert to the Microsoft way of thinking!
on 30 October 2006
This book is a very easy to follow intro to producing web sites with ASP.net. If you've never done any programming before you should find this a good introduction to programming ASP.net (as long as you're reasonably comfortable with a PC).

One point though. ASP.net can be used with any of several languages (C++.net, C#.net, VB.net etc). This book just looks at Visual Basic (it couldn't possibly cover them all!) so if you've already started to build a site using another language this book might not be the best one for you.

A very worthwhile investment though.
on 23 July 2004
For those wanting to take their static HTML websites to a more advanced stage, this is great place to start. The writing style is chatty and humourous, the code examples easy to follow and are clearly explained.
The author doesn't waste time by constantly reminding you how 'cool' something is or telling you why the language is great (unlike some Dummies books I've read before). Instead you're taken straight into the learning process at a manageable pace, which is kept consistent throughout the book.
For beginners this is a great purchase and anyone with a Visual Basic background will breeze through.
on 13 March 2003
For those who read the original ASP for Dummies by Bill Hatfield, I can assure you that this book is as good as that, if not better. The book really lives up to the 'for dummies' claim in that it doesn't complicate issues that don't need to be complicated (such as explaining what .NET actually is!). But neither does it skimp on detail or technical information. The author is all the things a good writer should be; concise, humourous, and clear.
If nothing else the book is a great tutorial on Visual Basic .NET and even manages to explain systems architecture without sounding too geeky. Definitely worth the money.
on 24 November 2004
I love the for Dummies books as primers for topics im interested in, but this one had me hooked in no time at all. I have picked up a lot of books on VB, ASP and .Net and if im honest, im not that skilled in these areas yet but this book got my confidence up and definately made things simple to understand by slowly going through line by line. You tend to find that after only a few hours you getting quite nifty writing your own code =) this is by far one of the best For Dummies titles I have read.
on 7 July 2009
As a Computing Student, with high hopes of a web development career, ASP.NET is something that would be of use. So I wondered where to start and got this book.
I already had experience in using ASP, but more of Dreamweaver doing it for me and I have programmed in Java previously. This book focuses on VB.NET for ASP.NET rather than other languages which is for what I have read, not best for a Java programmer, but I must admit, I now much prefer VB to Java!

It is extreamly easy to follow and even for a beginner to programming it wouldn't be too hard to follow - as there is still plenty I don't know. I like the fact it dives straight into the practical, with realistic webpages, rather than going of the thoery with pointless exercises. It explains the theory with real life examples which you can try out, or view of the cd provided. Some database thoery would be useful, but there is a bonus chapter on this and this is only covered towards the end of the book.

One negative may be that it doesn't go into too much detail about running the code, and if I hadn't already set up my computer to serve ASP, I would have struggled, but it does point you in the right direction to find out.

I enjoyed working though this book so much that I have now ordered ASP.NET 2.0 and ASP.NET real life applications for dummies to work from to so I can get the best of the this langauage and practice further.
on 1 February 2015
I bought this book to help me at work as we use ASP.NET for a number of our websites. I have basic web skills and I found this book very useful. Traditionally I used a lot of wizard type functions in software such as SharePoint Designer or backwards coded information found from online forums. The book is very easy to follow and gives you an idea of which sections you can skip depending on your skill level. I purchased the book second hand from a "charity" based store on Amazon which was significantly better value for money (£2.50) than buying it new. The quality of the book was good with some signs of wear and it came with the CD inside which I didn't expect.
on 1 January 2007
Excellent Book with interesting write up and good examples. Very good book for a dummy like me.
on 9 February 2014
A great book for learning to get your head round how ASP.NET differs from ASP and for getting you playing with the functionality. HOWEVER, when I loaded the accompanying CD the first thing that happened was that my security software found a high-riskTrojan in the Start file on the CD. The PDFs are Ok but I won't be running any executables!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse