on 12 October 2003
This book contains a great deal of information on renting your property, and definatly more than enough for you to be successful, it also contain several stories of real life situations to be aware of.
The Main thing I like about this book is that it's increadibly realistic, not hyped in anyway, and makes you feel that renting just after you've bought your property is going to be a little bit of a struggle, NOT easy. I already feel I've problems to solve and what to expect.
It talks of agencies, contracts, a great deal on tenants, Insurance, taxes and much more..
A great selling point is that the book provides a check list of all things in the house you need check so that you can fit and repair to getting a better rent rate.
Definatly worth buying for beginners or people who already own 1 or 2 properties.
0Comment| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2008
Due to unfortunate circumstances, my house was lying empty, and I was forced to let it out. Not having been in this game before, I was totally apprehensive about the whole thing.
This book goes through each stage of renting out your proprty, or indeed entering the world of buy-to let. It discusses chapter-by-chapter, how to choose a suitable property, deciding whether you manage yourself, or leave that to an agent, how to choose your agent, property maintenance, and your responsibilities as a landlord.
Not everyone will need to read every chapter, but it's well worth reading all the relevant chapters to the reader.
Best of all, the book discusses tax implications on rental income. I didn't know the law on this, and it saves me quite a wedge! So from my point of view, the book was well worth the money just for that information alone (but of course very helpful all round!).
Moreover, as one would expect in a book "for Dummies", it's written in a down-to-earth and humourous manner!
on 5 March 2011
The book has lots of helpful hints and suggestions for how to rent out property. There are some good points about looking at property from the point of view of tenants and what kind of buying decisions to make.

There were a couple of big disappointments for me:
- the book looks as if it has been based on the US version and just "translated" over - so some of the advice doesn't really resonate - "a devious tenant can always stop payment on even a certified personal cheque" - what's one of those? Do they mean a guarantee card? Really?
- some of it goes over the barrier of common sense - it goes into a big explanation of the advantages of having a mobile phone and what sort to buy if you want to be a landlord. Even my 75 year old mother has a mobile phone! Please!
- I bought this on the strength of a review praising the tax information in the book - I found this to be very cursory (about a page on income tax). So because I don't want to use an accountant I'll have to find another book.

So the book didn't meet my needs and I wouldn't have bought it if I'd have leafed through it in a shop.
on 27 June 2004
The examples of various agreements needed to protect yourself and your tenant are fantastic. I copied and used them with the confidence that if anything went wrong with the property or any damage was caused I had paperwork that was water tight and would hold up in court. It also gave the Tenant confidence that they were dealing with someone who knew what they were doing. Lots of great tips and advice on issues I hadn't even considered.
on 20 January 2004
A very good (and easy) read and makes a very useful reference. Money well spent, even though I was dubious about buying it.
on 20 April 2010
Found this book really useful and essential reading when I rented out my house as it covers all aspects of the rental market, from buy-to-rent properties, house insurance options and finding the perfect agent versus doing it all yourself. Highly recommended.
on 9 January 2015
This addition was over 12 years old so not much use for 2015 if you want to be good landlord and follow the current laws.

Next time I will find out what year reference books are published before ordering.
on 4 April 2014
there was nothing new inside that I didn't really know already from researching this on the internet so a great book for newbies
on 31 January 2013
If you are a Landlord or are thinking of being one this is a must read.Simple but fun of down to earth advice. It lets you learn from others mistakes and gives you some very good tips how to save money. It also puts both sides of a question and leaves you to deciede which is the answer for you.
Best money I have spent in a long while and I have made it back with their tips.
on 14 September 2011
Great book, good to reference,would like to have seen more UK anicdotal referencing but a lot for any new comer to think about, a simple check list of what you need to do first and the legal must haves would have been useful though i would not knock this manual