Customer reviews

on 17 May 2009
This is an enjoyable and illuminating intoduction to judaism.
It explores the core beliefs, offers a history of the jewish people and explains what goes on on holy days and celebrations. The odd recipe is included, as is a glossary of yiddish words, a section on jewish humour and a collection of frequently asked questions (amongst other things). Besides its broad scope what impressed me was that the authors take care to explain not only how but also why, and they do so with a great deal of wisdom, understanding and humour.
It is also a very accessible book. It is easy to dip in and out of, everything is explained in a clear and waffle-free manner and divided into bite size sections. Explanations are clear and concise without sacrificing completeness or depth of understanding and i feel as though I have really learnt a lot from reading this book.
Trying to provide a decent overview of judaism in 400 words is a pretty tall order but I believe that this book makes a very respectable attempt.
VINE VOICEon 31 October 2007
For anyone looking to learn more about the Jewish faith, this super book is the only one you need.
on 9 November 2010
My boyfriend wanted to understand more about the jewish religion as I am jewish and because he had never had much contact with jewish people before we met. I reviewed a number of books on the subject, but always ended up feeling that they appeared daunting to a 'beginner'... until I came across this book. I have to say that we both love it and will happily sit down together and read through an upcoming festival or event, so that we both feel comfortable about its meaning and what to expect. Through doing so, I remind myself about the history of various festivals and my boyfriend can simply understand the meaning, traditions associated with it, ways of conducting yourself, etc, as well as learning new expressions. It's a funny yet serious book, light yet profound, but most of all is welcoming rather than threatening.
on 4 September 2009
This book has been a breath of fresh air to me personally.
Informative helpful and reassuring to someone whose has found their belonging after denial.
This book will help others of different persuasions to learn of Judaism and hopefully enlighten.
on 15 May 2009
Its great to understand and easy reading. Really like the chapters.i.e the way they are set out. you can jump around reading what one needs for that moment. A great book for Dummies!
on 14 January 2011
I bought this for my R.S. studies but for anyone interested in Judaism, this book is brilliant.
It is written in an easy and clear way with humour. I like the layout too, the print is easy on the eye and there is a straight forward key for the information placed around the page. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
on 15 July 2015
Covers pretty much everything. Although I am ashamed of having to buy a book called ' Judaism for dummies' It really is an easy way to get a grip on the religion and improve your knowledge. Especially good for converts to Judaism and for revision purposes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 December 2011
Set out really well. Enjoyable to read, and it is a very interesting topic. I think i'll be getting more of these books.
on 31 December 2012
When I ordered this book I was a little bit afraid buying a dummies guide might not be the best choose to learn about a rich religious tradition, however being myself a big fan of the dummies guide series I decided to go ahead and buy it.

I don't regret it, it is very well structured, written in a nice way that helps one keep its attention on the text. It covers most of the relevant subjects, giving proper frame to them.
on 3 February 2015
Certainly answered several questions I had. Quite witty in places. A very good beginners guide.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse