on 3 April 2003
At last a book to suit my needs! I have bought many books on meditation. Most of them were too hard to understand or plain just too religious for me. I never intended to join any kind of religion, I just wanted to learn how to meditate. This is the perfect book for that. It explains the different currents, the different ways of meditating and the major difficulties that arise once started. Really a revealing book that answered all my questions and permits me to meditate without joining a monastery!
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 October 2003
If you are new to meditation and want a book that tells you how - then this is it. It does not avoid the spiritual or historical background but it does concentrate on the practical issues of actually "doing" meditation. It also has enough information on various forms of meditation to enable you to decide for yourself what is best for you. You can then go to a more specialised book for further instruction.
0Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 January 2011
I have no experience of meditation and have never read about it previously, so am unable to compare this with other books. What impressed me is the way the author gets you stuck straight in, and at the same time takes the pressure off to meditate "well" or "improve," by explaining that those concepts are unhelpful - with meditation there is no "linear improvement." Rather, by giving you a mindful awareness of the present moment, meditation helps you to become aware of the chattering voices in your mind, churning out what the author describes as your personal "top ten" insistent visitors - including fear, anger, resentment - the drama, emotions and obsessions that make up your life script. By focussing your mind on the present, rather than the past or future, meditation can ultimately free you from the devastatingly destructive effects of these repetitive patterns. So much in the book struck a chord, especially the mention of inner self judgements and comparisons, and the need to develop the capacity to observe and recognise those without identifying with them - or mistaking them for the truth. If there is a way to deal more positively with situations that would once have provoked you to anger or withdrawal, it's in this book, and that alone makes it worth giving a careful reading to this straightforward, unpatronising, and practical volume.
on 18 May 2017
Lots of facts.
All the questions a teacher would answer if you attended a year long class. Make time and it will work for you. In the end though you have to be self motivated. Peace takes a quiet struggle/effort.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 January 2018
Great book but NO AUDIO CD included
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 29 August 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although there is nothing particularly new here ~ meditation is basically such a practical activity that writing about it can appear repetitive, and meditation is such a very simple idea = just slow down, switch off and be still. This is an excellent volume for any novice who wishes to change his/her lifestyle and be more at one with identity and the universe etc

I would recommend this book as the basis for a course on meditation, maybe a chapter at a time with the inbuilt "return" idea that certain stages in the meditation process do need to be repeated or at least the reminder is there when you need it.

The volume, as all in this series is very accessible, the divisions are helpful and at the beginning of each part the intentions are laid out in basic form. It is far too large a task to review as a whole here so I have decided to make reference to Chapter 12 ~ "Meditating with Challenging Emotions and Habitual Patterns". For me this was an essential chapter dealing with the unblocking of emotional stress that challenges all of us at some time in our lives,

A subheading is "Discover how to navigate the roadblocks on your meditation journey to avoid getting stuck" !!
This chapter deals with "Picking up some tips for dealing with fear, anger and sadness" ~ who doesn't need help with such challenging emotions that effect our daily lives. Confrontation is an essential but also scary concept. We human beings can be ruled by those things we least want to confront. Fear and anxiety are not the favourite bedmates of any of us but they both play vital parts in our lives so facing those demons may well be the most courageous thing we ever do.

The advice in this chapter on coping with sadness, grief and depression is some of the most vital and important stuff I have ever read.

Take heart, dear reader, there are no easy solutions to playing the cards you are dealt but this tome will give you advice on how to cope.
This is a book that needs to be read with pencil in hand for underlining relevant passages, time to put into practice some of the meditation techniques and a cheery heart to realise that you are never ever alone when it comes to life's obstacles; you have an inbuilt capacity to deal with anything

Happy reading..
on 26 September 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As with all the 'Dummies" series, you can count on the book being a comprehensive yet accessible read, no matter what point of interest you start at.

Meditation for Dummies, is an excellent read. It really offers over 350 pages of useful viewpoints, perspectives, theories and guidance into many different forms and schools of meditation. I found the style easy to read, nothing too technical. I also like the addition of accessing online guided meditations on Audio tracks, as listed in Appendix B.

However, Meditation, isn't simple. It requires practice, and understanding. What is especially helpful about this guide, is that you can either dip in and out, or find an approach and stick to it. I know that as I understand more, I will progress more. This book will remain really useful for some time to come in helping on that journey. Highly recommended.
on 20 February 2009
Easy to read full of helpful information.Covers the whole field well.I found it a great help as a beginner to meditation. My reason for purchase was to see if meditation helped me with my health problems. I certainly am beginning to feel the benefits.The Cd included with the book is great I have put it on my ipod and can listen to the helpful advise whilst out and about.I would recommend this book to any beginner who is interested in improving their mental and physical health.
on 8 March 2010
Firstly, let me preface this with the following points:

1) I am a complete beginner in terms of meditation.
2) I have not read the book cover to cover.

My reasons for buying this book may be similar to yours, they may not. I was looking for a way to reduce stress/anxiety/depression by calming my mind so I thought I would investigate meditation. Not having a clue where to start, it seemed obvious to get the Dummies book as I have always thought them useful introduction books which are often packed with enough information for you to feel like you're getting a lot of value out of it.

This book is no different. There's a vast amount of information in there. Some things you may find useful, others you may not...but I seriously doubt there's a better book to provide you with a good foundation in meditation. Personally, I wanted to get started straight away so I skipped to the end where the author offers some quick and easy-to-follow meditations. I then went back and started reading from the beginning to help myself understand the process a bit more.

I must say that I find the way the book is written to be fantastic. It's "personal" and welcoming to the beginner, but also gives you (or me at least) a sense that it's written by someone who really knows what he's talking about. I also find the structure of the book very good. While there's something there for the scientists out there who want to understand how meditation works (and how it may physically help them), there's plenty of complimentary anecdotes which are a mix of the spiritual side of things and modern day examples. I've never been a religious person but I actually really like the way the spiritual element of meditation is presented as I find it helps give me "perspective" on life and why I have come to the point of feeling like I needed to do something like meditating. Having this and the backgroud of the history of meditation is what I think makes this book stand out as it's both interesting and useful in the understanding of meditation.

I really don't have any significant criticisms. Yes, the author is American so some of the real-world examples certainly have an American slant to them...but even if you're not American then I don't feel it takes anything away from the relevance of the book to you.

Like I said before, I really do think this is an excellent way to get you started with meditation. Another great "Dummies" book!
on 5 January 2008
This is book draws on basic aspects of many of the disciplines and demystifys some of the potential compents of meditation/chanting/relaxation that can make the person with a lack of understanding of its benefits uncomfortable. It does not promote any particuar method in achieving the ultimate goal but allows, quite simply the reader to cherrypick the ideas that his lifestyle will allow. Its straightforward approach, coupled with its well laid out chapters and practical guidance on the CD really helps in achieving steps towards accomplishment with out despondancy. This author has his feet firmly on the ground, a sense of humour and insight into many of the common traits found in the average person.