on 13 June 2002
The book gives an excellent introduction to a wide array of fly fishing topics. I did however find that discussions on fish, flies and top spots to fish were focussed on the American angler; this stops me from giving it full marks to the non-US reader.
on 8 August 2001
As an angler of many years experience; I one day decided that I would like to try my hand at fly fishing - only to become bewildered by the total wealth of differing views and techniques in this field of fishing! I bought a few books on the subject and although they were very informative they tended to specialise in certain areas of fly fishing. Then I ordered this book and heartily read thru it when it arrived on the doorstep. I can say quite enthusiastically that if you are completely new to fishing in general or just to the area of fly fishing - then this book should really be a must buy - it dispels many myths - gives a broad exlanation of all aspects of fly fishing and I can see it being a reference for many years to come.
on 7 December 2007
This book is bad! Totally set up for a USA reader. No helpful info on knots, leaders and general 'set up' techniques. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone getting started in fly fishing. Get down to your local water a get a lesson or two, this will be much more informative.
on 20 July 1998
Since I was technical editor for this book, I may not be a completely unbiased reviewer--but I really do think Peter Kaminsky's book is a great place to start learning the art of flyfishing. The book is comprehensive,very clearly organized and written in an amusing, informal style that helps to de-mystify flyfishing. Peter also went out of his way to give warmwater flyfishing and saltwater flyfishing the space they deserve--so this book isn't just about trout and salmon. The information here will prepare you for tarpon in Belize, redfish in the Gulf, blues in Rhode Island or bass and sunnies in your local farm pond. I've been teaching flyfishing and flycasting for years and I now recommend this book to all of my students.
on 9 January 1999
This book has an excellent way of teaching. It doesn't take a "Dummie" to learn. It gives good tips for knot tying, fly tying, spotting good areas to fish, and selecting your equipment. Unlike other books I have, Kaminsky makes learning flyfishing fun.
on 9 July 2009
Fly Fishing for Dummies

Very informative if a little long winded. Its mainly for the American market but info can be used in most UK cases. Fairly amusing anecdotes to break it up too. Good value for money but not if you need specialist info on UK fly-fishing. PH
on 11 November 2010
only having done coarse fishing i aways wanted to try fly fishing but dident know where to start, after feading this book i now have a basic grounding in this art,worth buying to learn the basics.
on 7 January 2013
It does exactly what it says. I found lots of interesting facts about general fishing I didn't know as well as nearly everything I wat to know about Fly Fishing. I would recommend it to anyone
on 25 March 2014
Found the book informative and helpful. A few more fishing knots included in the book would have been better. The book seems to be aimed at an American market, I enjoyed reading the book
on 22 September 2015
Together with the Michael Evans video I am hoping to have learned enough to have my first attempt at fly fishing when we are on holiday later this month.