Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2004
This book nearly gave the postman a hernia just carrying the parcel up the drive. A monster of a book, covering every aspect of Photoshop that you might need to know.
A guide for beginners and 'experts' alike - use it for instruction, use it for reference; you can even use it as a doorstop!
Worth the money if Photoshop CS is your thing.
on 19 July 2004
Every time I pick this book up, I learn something new.
Each topic is covered well, in an easy-to-read style. Generally, I either turn to a specific topic (the index is comprehensive), or open it at random and start reading a new section. Either way, I find useful tips for my current projects.
Highly recommended - for folks just starting out or more experienced users alike.
on 6 January 2006
I'm confused by this book; I just don't know who it is supposed to be helping.
It is far too advanced for a beginner: it doesn't teach how to use Photoshop to achieve anything much, apart from the odd very odd example.
For a regular user it isn't suitable as a reference book.
For an advanced user they will find its style of basically running through every single Photoshop command from start to end as completely unhelpful (especially the material covering the basics).
The book just runs through the Photoshop commands from start to end, leaving something as fundamental as layers at the finish. Bad structure and bad examples; and please, spare me the humour, I know it is well intentioned but it just becomes too much.
If you're a beginner go for a more hands on teaching book.
If you're an intermediate go for a more advanced teaching book.
If you're an expert buy a reference book.
It is clear the author is a Photoshop expert, but I just don't think he knows what he's trying to do with the book.
The only thing I can think is perhaps if you're a self-taught expert it will help fill in the gaps in your knowledge; it certainly lists every single shortcut keystroke (Mac and PC)!
on 2 October 2009
The book is absolutely huge! When it arrived in the post I was somewhat horrified at the size of it and thought it looked too technical. But as time went on, I discovered what a fantastic tome it was. I was amazed at how well it explains how to do things. I was dreading editing a huge amount of photo's and thought it was going to take forever. I looked up the relevant chapter and 60 seconds later I'd stitched 3 photo's together.
I highly recommend this book. Although your postie won't be pleased about delivering it!! Mine certainly wasn't!
on 15 August 2014