Format: Paperback|Change

I usually avoid books about Microsoft software because I can usually muddle through and figure out what I want to do. If in doubt, I seek out a twelve-year-old who knows the answers. But this week I had a desire to create a unique chart for a client, and decided to see if Excel would help me make the chart. I had the good fortune to run across Excel 2003 Bible at the library, and took it home to skim. Within 45 minutes I had all the answers to my questions, and found a way to create a better chart than I had originally planned to make. That was well worth my time. I'm sure that I would never have found the alternatives on my own that the book pointed me to.
Intrigued by the help I got, I went back and read the simple sections as well. I was impressed by how thorough all of the material is. You are given many different ways to accomplish the same task, along with the pros and cons of why to go one way versus another. I also appreciated the many graphics in the book to show what the screens look like.
The book is also backed up with a CD to run simulations and a web site where you can get more help.
If you think you may ever want to do advanced applications of Excel, I strongly encourage you to read this book. I particularly liked the charting and analysis sections.
As I finished this book, I realized that I usually employ Excel to get tasks done faster . . . and hadn't given much thought to how to complete them better. I suspect that much data could be made more usable and valuable for me and others if I think about how to employ all of Excel's tools in advance.
0Comment| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2005
6 out of 5 for the depth this book goes into. Relatively readable (apart from the array formula section where the author loses any sense of the reality of spreadsheets producing paragraph long formulae which, despite being amazing, aren't much use in practice unless you have the book by your side at all times).
4 out of 5 for coverage. What's up, pivot tables hardly get a look in. Despite their extremely usefulness in many situations, the author doesn't really get to grips with them; I learnt a lot more about them banging my head against the screen than using this book.
So, useful book, but could be better in some areas.
on 29 April 2009
An excellent reference book. Everytime I struggle with data analysis or formulas I use this book and find new and improved ways of doing things. Highly recommended.
on 12 December 2012
Well explained book which covers variety of topics from fundamental to advanced. You can simply apply everything you learn from the book in practice instantly. CD has plenty of ready to use templates and example workbooks. Also electronic book is available.

Highly recommended.

Thanks

Mr. Engin Sicimogullari
on 5 February 2010
I was after a book that dealt with the more advanced frunctions that excel can do. I analyse and present figures as part of my every day job, so need something a bit more than the books I had seen in Waterstones and Smiths.

This really does the trick. It has good clear language on how to use functions such as VLOOKUP.

A great book for Accountants, Quantity Surveyors and anyone who needs to do complicated stuff with figures.
on 7 November 2011
Sorry to say that this publication didn't live up to expectations. I was looking for a guide that showed how Excel could be used for different types of Statistical analysis but there are only half a dozen or so pages in the whole book that cover this topic and then only to the extent of providing definitions of different types of analysis rather than practical applications or examples. It would have useful if the books limited approach to this field had been mentioned as I would not have purchased it.
on 18 October 2010
This is what it claims it is on the cover - a "bible", i.e. it is very comprehensive and there is enough in one publication for advanced use of the software application across the full range of functions. This is a welcome change from so many books of this sort that claim to tell you all you "need" to know but, so often, do not include what you want to know for your particular needs. It arrived on time, in good condition, and I was able to get the job done and meet my deadline. Thanks.
on 17 April 2012
Excellently written and laid out! I have the 2003 excel at work and this has made life so much easier!

Just about everything you could want in it - I am pretty good with Excel and this had extended my capabilitites into "lookup" tables and "if" functions, moving onto macros next.

Fantastic for referencing bits and pieces as you work.
on 29 March 2011
Just a brilliant book. Easy to understand and goes from basics to some clever stuff. Expensive, but once you have the knowledge you can apply the principles to any spreadsheet and make it work for you.
on 7 August 2014
If you are looking for detailed information on every Excel related topic this is a book for you. I have a few and this is the best of so far.