on 30 December 2009
This is quite a thick book ... that somehow manages to say very little.

I first read this book from start to finish and then went back to dip into it looking for the info that I wanted. Sadly, too often, the most basic info was missing.

This is NOT a beginners guide to reptiles etc as the reader will be left none the wiser. If you are looking at getting a first exotic pet then I would suggest looking at a few caresheets on the Internet (I say 'a few' as opinions do vary widely in relation to reptile keeping).

And get a book specific to the animal that you intend to keep (I have several).

If you are an experienced keeper, it is unlikely you will be looking at a book with 'dummies' in the title. However, if you are, dont buy this book as it contains very little in the way of useful info IMHO.
on 3 August 2015
not the best reptile book in the world, even if you need a crash course, grab a few more specialised books and you will not have wasted your time.
on 9 May 2013
Bought for my son and his wife They had several vivarium's and found this very helpful. Yes we would recommend it.
on 24 February 2014
Was exactly what I wanted, working in a pet store I am always looking to increase my knowledge! Would recommend!
on 12 June 2009
I just wanted a book with useful basic guides on how to look after common reptiles and amphibians, and this certainly lives up to the task. No colour pictures etc, all in black and white, but very useful information for a beginner in herpetology.
on 29 July 2011
i have been keeping reptile for years and i found it very useful but shame it does not have British zoo's and contacts