on 15 December 2017
on 31 December 2016
given as gift
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 September 2009
As with most Dummies titles, it does what it says on the tin, and gives you exactly what you expect. Although I am by no means a novice at genealogy, I found numerous ideas and suggestions that have already helped me trace a relative who died in the 2nd World War. There are pages of useful websites - many of them free to search - and anyone contemplating researching their Family History should seriously consider this book, especially at the excellent price to be found on amazon.co.uk.
on 11 April 2011
This is an american version which was not made clear on the advertising by Amazon. Do not purchase, await the UK VERSION.
on 25 October 2011
I have read other dummies guides and found them very helpful. This one disappointed significantly. I suspect that if I were in the USA i\d find it very helpful, but maybe the title should be Genealogy Online for USA Dummies. Fine for anyone whose researches take them across the Atlantic, but where the tree is rooted firmly in the uK much of this is not relevant in terms of helping a person to do their own research.
on 2 August 2015
got for Mum doing family tree - however she did find most of the tips/sites suggested to check were American, didn't occur to me, but some of the 'how to do' bits are relevant wherever, but as a warning for someone else might be an idea to already have a list of UK sites that may be able to help you and substitute those for some mentioned in the book
on 2 September 2009
Had recently purchased a couple of books to help me with my amateur geneaology research & then spotted this one. It won hands down on positive help without having to trawl through chapters & chapters to even decide where to start.
Perfect for the first timer & also the more experienced geneaologists as well.
on 17 July 2011
I'm sure this would be excellent if I was American.
Not much use if you are a British Family Researcher.
on 11 May 1999
I truly enjoyed this book. My daughters been trying to buy it for me for quite some time. Of course that was the previous version...I didn't think I needed it AND then I hit a brick wall. I asked her to get it for me for Mother's Day, sure enough, it helped! Matthew and April, Thanks!!!
on 12 October 1998
This book was very easy to use as a guide to online genealogy. I recomend it highly.