Customer reviews

on 3 May 2003
This is an excellent book. It actually does more than the title suggests: it is a good introduction to HTML for anyone new to it, as well as serving as a reference. Most of the "Dummies" books are somewhat limited, some of them poor. HTML for Dummies 4 is very poor: it is full of waffle and weak attempts at humour, and you have to plough through quite a lot of useless material to find the small amount of useful information it contains. HTML for Dummies 4 Quick Reference is a different matter altogether. In a small fraction of the amount of text that HTML for Dummies takes up, it contains far more information, and that information is also more clearly expressed. HTML for Dummies 4 Quick Reference was actually the first book on HTML I read. Since reading it I have read several more books on HTML, and I have not found another one that I regard as equalling it in value. I heartily reccomend it, both as an introduction for anyone new to HTML and as a reference for those who already know something of HTML. It does not cover everything by any means, but it covers a surprisingly large amount in such a small space, and what it does cover it covers very well.
on 9 June 1999
This was the best $15.00 (marked down to $11.00 -- you save $3.99!) I ever spent. This book breaks down HTML in logical, no-nonsense fashion. I was able to go from never writing anything to working full-time as a web page designer in about a year (thanks in part to using Photoshop, as well). Re-invent yourself, while there's still time!
on 8 April 1998
Where HTML for Dummies went wrong, the quick refference picks up the slack. I've read HTML for Dummies and found it an almost useless tool. It taught me nothing more than I had already known which was not a great deal. This book however plainly lays out how to do some of the most usefull coding. The great thing is that it requires very little knowledge of HTML to be doing immage maps and forms in no time. This is definately a must for those who want to design a personal or professional webpage.
on 19 November 1998
This book is great for beginners and as a quick reference for those tags you just cant remember. It has a very handy reference section in the back, and the book itself it very well organized, as is the back. It covers everything up to style sheets, and I think there is a MORE HTML 4.0 for Dummies Quick Reference which I also plan to get. This book is good overall, but it does not have all of the HTML tag attributes, which I have had to find online. Good book overall!
on 13 April 2001
This is not a comprehensive book on HTML, but as the title suggests, it is for reference purposes. I like to try stuff out myself, then refer to this book if I get stuck. In this respect it's invaluable.
on 28 May 1998
I use this book all the time. The spiral edition was a great idea, it allows me to lay it flat so I can read and work at the same time. Perfect reference tool for learning basic to advanced HTML. Has a very handy color "cheat sheet" in the front to change your font colors quickly, and easily. I recomend this book highly.
on 23 February 2009
This does what it says on the tin "A quick reference". If you want to learn from scratch then I suggest "HTML and CSS in 24 Hours" by Dick Oliver and Michael Morrison. The latter does get you going from nowhere to competent in a short while. It is then that HTML for Dummies comes into its own.
It's really handy for dipping in to find the reference you need.
I bought both books and don't regret it.
on 24 February 2012
I needed a quick way of teaching myself some basic HTML for use at work, and someone suggested looking for a Dummies book. This is great - simple and clear, easy to understand, and within a day I was able to put what I'd learned to good use.
on 25 October 2013
Great book off business, pleasure or study. Nice quality paper and print size. Well worth the money. Buy it now
on 3 May 2014
brilliant. just what was needed for me to set up my website and help me get round any problems that I found