Customer reviews

on 21 April 2017
A wonderful tarot set! The cards and the overall presentation are really stunning - they come in a lovely box alongside a book which is usefully describing the deeper meaning. You might want to find a pouch to put them in, if you use them regularly. These cards are definitely for those who love a bit of a darker spiritual edge. Some things to keep in mind is that the cards are almost double the size of the Rider-Waite Tarot deck (I like this because if you have long fingers like I do, these are easier to shuffle) and some images might be too explicit for some people. I'm in love with them, and would certainly recommend!
on 18 June 2017
Bought as a present. The cards are gorgeous with rich symbolic artwork. Theyre made from quality card stock, presented in a beautiful box with a in depth guide book. The reciever absolutely adores this deck
on 6 April 2017
This deck is so beautiful and full of colors!! I'm really excited for having it in my hands!
on 12 March 2017
I am a tarot collector and artist. I purchased these cards after watching people rave about them on YouTube, call me over suspicious, but I have begun to doubt some reviewers who just seem to rave on about all decks they have been 'gifted'. Don't get me wrong there are many genuine people who make videos and some I trust implicitly but you know what I mean about niggling doubts. Anyway, I don't review hardly anything but I just couldn't help but write and support this deck. It is stunning, profound and genuinely something special. If you have doubts about some of the images (I did, the naked Fool and the odd alien babies on the Hierophant) don't be put off. When you hold the deck in your hands it feels right. It's kind of shocking but that's the point, this woman can really paint, I mean REALLY, paint and her composition and use of colour is beyond inspiring. You will react to these colours and images exactly how you are meant to. You are meant to feel uncomfortable and odd about the Hierophant just as you are meant to feel the purity of the 'true self' in the 8 of disks, or the soul resting in the 8 of wands. This is the difference so many people can't seem to put into words. There isn't one image in which artistic composition and colour hasn't been very carefully considered to make the viewer experience the essence of what the card is telling you. She really is a modern day William Blake, and I hope she gets recognised beyond her deck as someone very special. The fact her original art is selling for as little at £500 is frankly criminal.

Go buy it and hold artistic genius in your hands. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Go buy her art and make her famous. We need Marie White in the world of art as much as tarot. If you harbour even a tiny desire, to paint your own tarot (I guess many tarot collectors do, like me) then definitely buy the deck to see how it should be done.
review image
on 13 March 2017
WOW wow wow!! The artwork is utterly breathtaking. And the conventional meaning of the tarot is replaced with a somewhat alternative one... More emotional and somehow deeper .... I always read between the lines when it comes to meaning... As I like to feel my own path out.. The art work speaks volumes.. It inspires. Cards are Large though and if you have small hands shuffling them will be very tricky! Card stock is good and sturdy, accompanying book is similarly good quality. I am happy as Larry to have bought this deck. Please feel free to ask me questions about it if you are thinking of buying but aren't certain.. I am happy to help if I can.
on 16 April 2013
WOW, just WOW, buy it, you'll love it.

Such nice large cards and great presentation which really bring out the paintings and make me want to spend time with them.

Haven't gotten around to reading the book yet, so no comment on that.
on 6 June 2015
Although loving this deck on first inspection, along with the equally beautiful book, all enclosed in a stunning magnetic closing box, it took a while to get used to the glossy deck for reading purposes.
Also, the first box had to be returned, due to the deck missing a card, amazon were very quick in posting a replacement, everything is fine. I now love this deck, it is very different, having its own style whilst drawing on the 'Thoth' deck in some of the images I feel. You just have to buy this deck,especially if a collector, however this doesn't mean you'll be lost if you're just becoming proficient. Stunning.
on 25 August 2012
Marie White conceived this deck as a synthesis of the Waite-Smith, Thoth and Marseille decks, but it's so much more. She adds an extra layer of her own, a new way of viewing the images and meanings of the cards.

For instance, the 5 of Cups, normally a card of bitterness and regret, is presented as an 8-legged unicorn, the fountain of life and the two trees in the garden of Eden: the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and the Tree of Eternal Life. What does this mean? It means that we find heaven within ourselves, and that by eating the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (so that's "good times and bad times") we come closer to the fountain, to the mythic unicorn, Sleppnir, Odin's mount, and the Tree of Eternal Life.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a very fussy woman, having spent 5 years studying painting and as an artist subsequently, with very rigid ideas about what makes good technical ability, and I have to say that Marie's artwork ticks every box on my checklist and more. Using oil paint to seal the deal, each card is a mini masterpiece in itself, with only a couple of images that didn't quite make it for me.

The only other problem I have with this deck is the stickiness of the surface of the cards that make them hard to shuffle at first, although this becomes slightly easier with use. I'm also worried that the plastic coating of the cards is not permanent and might start peeling off with time, this is a complaint I'm reading a lot about this deck and it would be something that the publishers will want to address in subsequent reprints. That being said, the cards are nice and big and the stock is good, heavy and thick, which gives the cards a icon-like feel which I like a lot. The images also have a plain black border, which is a blessed relief after the borders added by publishers on some other decks I won't mention.

This is now The Deck that I use, the images are sometimes darker than usual (10 of Cups!) and sometimes lighter (all the 5s) but the extra dimension of meaning adds to the language of Tarot because of Ms White's incredible knowledge of esoteric and ethnological systems. This would not be the best deck for beginners, whereas the Waite-Smith, Golden Tarot or Thoth would be, as they deal with the Golden Dawn symbolism more directly, but it's the perfect deck for people who want to take their Tarot to another dimension.

Can't recommend highly enough. Buy it now.
on 5 October 2016
I have been watching reviews online by tarot enthusiasts who own this stunning deck of cards. These range from the "show and tell" to the top five "I can't live without ", with the Mary-el being in the number one or two spot. For the last couple or three weeks, which seem like the same amount of months in comparison, my own thoughts upon this tarot deck has ebbed and flowed with the moon phases. I am not a seasoned tarotist and only began taking a tarot workshop this week but my life has always had an interest.

As to the Mary-el tarot deck by Marie White.

The post arrived today with a very special brown box. I was to tell the truth expecting a bigger package. Opening it up I was thrilled to see the lovely and beautifully designed tarot box. Online reviewers stated how large the cards were, unable to shuffle without the greatest of effort. I know the deck isn't a standard tarot card size but felt it wasn't huge!
The accompanying book detailing the specific meanings and relating spreads is wonderful, and the cards themselves certainly deserve a whole lot of respect. I already know I have a tarot companion for the rest of my life. Many people have raved about the imagery so I won't go into detail in my review here. Holding the cards in my own hands I feel as though I have witnessed a new generation in tarot. Tarot has grown up and is demanding to be seen. This particular deck was first published in 2012, but until much recently has only come forth into the limelight.

The Mary-el tarot will be my own personal divination tool, which I plan to use in the darkening seasons and may purchase another 'lighter' deck for the spring/summer months. I have another set of cards which have been cleansed and charged in preparation for my workshops.

Update :
Since purchasing the Mary-el I watched a couple of YouTube reviews by owners stating that they have trimmed off the deck borders. Some have even gone as far as removing the titles from the bottom of the cards and adding again with their own handwriting to the borderless card. One person revealed this technique was intended to be done, by the creator, Marie White.
I did not umm and ahh over this! A week after getting the Mary-el tarot deck myself, I have spent a whole morning trimming off the black borders and bravely removed the titles. I have not written them back onto the cards yet, and may not do so, as I am hoping my intuition will gather strength by only seeing the intended imagery. The cards are now of a more manageable size to shuffle and look amazing when doing spreads.
on 14 October 2015
I am in love with this Tarot. Works perfectly for me, although they seems too big for my hand. But I learned to hold them in other way, so it is fine.