on 11 April 2014
This book is a thorough treatment of the subject, well written and referenced as per usual for James White.

Every relevant issue is covered, from how the New Testament manuscripts were copied and passed down through the centuries, to the problems arising from this process (i.e. copying mistakes), to the formulation of the Textus Receptus, to the various 'KJV Only' positions around today. Key players who propound KJV Onlyism (Riplinger, Ruckman, Waite, etc) are incisively critiqued and shown to come up short.

Bear in mind this is not a book against the KJV - it is against KJV Onlyism.

Nonetheless, this book educated me as to the shortcomings of the KJV, both in terms of translation and textual basis (the Textus Receptus). White doesn't use inflammatory arguments, though - he lets facts speak for themselves, often reproducing the underlying Greek words and letting the reader him/herself see the discrepancies.

A useful feature of the book is the tables which White uses to layout comparisons between the KJV and more modern versions (particularly the NIV and NASB). The book is also well-indexed and easy to use to look up particular verses which relate to this controversial topic.

I am a complete layman when it comes to the underlying languages involved in translation, but I still found this book easy to read and digest.

All-in-all, a good buy.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 1 September 2016
So far I have only managed to dip into the book, but what little I have read has got me excited and whetted my appetite to get to grips with it as soon as I have the opportunity. From what I have seen, the subject matter would appear to be thoroughly (one might say, exhaustively) researched; clearly presented, and extremely well written. The author appears to have taken a remarkably balanced and unbiased approach to such a controversial topic, and he seems to have found a way to respond to his critics with fairness and without rancour. I am really looking forward to tackling this appealing work, and hope to give it my undivided attention so that I can examine all the material he has so meticulously presented as it so richly merits. It came to me highly recommended, and shows every indication of deserving the accolade.
on 25 January 2017
The only thing I am sad about is James White understanding of Greek and Hebrew is not much by his understanding of all foundational Christians doctrine. I can't help but think maybe he should have spent more time questioning some of his reform doctrines
on 11 April 2015
Interested in the controversy or just wanting a better knowledge of the history behind the Bible's making; this book is useful.
I was ignorant of a number of issues and erred on what I thought was a safe position. The book clearly places the evidence
in the laymans hands and is thorough in dealing with the various aspects of the folly. Its biggest boon is engendering security in the veracity of the New Testament.
on 8 March 2017
Very fair and balanced discussion of the subject, James White has an encyclopedic mind and is an immensely valuable asset to the worldwide church
on 15 February 2011
James White is a scholar/author that I trust. This subject is a very emotional one, as you will be able to tell by reading some of the other reviews. If you've ever been troubled by KJV only advocates, and feel that you can't trust your Bible (NKJV, NASB, ESV, HCSB, NIV, etc.) you REALLY need to read this book. It will set you free.
4 people found this helpful
|1717 Comments|Report abuse
on 21 March 2015
This is very well written and it provides valuable information on the textual information of the New Testament. People can be dogmatic on their choice of translation without really having an informed opinion. This book will change that.
on 9 July 2016