on 29 August 2008
As a foreigner preparing myself for the IELTS test I found this book extremely chaotic and unhelpful. The key and supporting CD are very poor as they do not cover the whole material that's in the book. Each module contains tasks or examples with no answers in the key provided at the end. The explanations are incoherent and not putted together at the beginning of each module. You need to hunt for essential information as they are all over the chapter. It is a challenge to make a sense of 'tasks' and 'targets' for each chapter. As a former student of English literature and language I have never came across worst text-book than this one. I will definitely return it and get another one.
on 28 September 2007
Bought this book as needed to sit the IELTS test for extra points on my Australian visa application. This book gave me a great outline of what to expect with the example questions (very similar to the test) and the audio CD.

Got my required 9,9,9,9 in the test and probably would have done even without the book, but it certainly gave me confidence on the day and made sure I wasn't surprised by the content of the test.

Having American spellings with British alternatives at the bottom, was a little annoying especially for me as my spelling is bad enough already.

Glad I bought the book and happy I past the test , worth the £10 or so cost.
on 13 August 2008
This book will help you to prepare the IELTS, in order for you to be ready for the D day. The book is divided in 4 different parts corresponding to the test main parts: Listening/Reading/Writing/Speaking. The listening part is really good, with lots of different short audio conversations, easily understandable.
Test examples are provided as well, both for General Training and Academic. All the answers are at the end of the book.
The book is delivered with a CD (needed for the listening part).
on 13 May 2008
Excellent study tool for the IELTS.Gives plenty of tips and methods of answering on all four module of the test.Modest price comapared to other books.Downside is,the CD only covered Listening module exercises and 1 IELTS Module test.The book contain 4 IELTS Model test,so the next 3 Model tests are no good for Listening practice as you have to read the audioscripts..
on 15 June 2009
I used the two practice tests in general module for a practice test for my students. They turned out to be unreliable as an assessment tool because the student whose band score is about 4 - 5 got 38 questions right out of 40 in the reading test, which corresponds to the band scores of 8 - 9. I don't recommend this book for IELTS lessons as well as a mock test.
on 27 December 2008
To pass IELTS with high band scores, your nornmal English language skills has to be excellent in the first place.
But this book certainly gave me very useful tips and I scored 8.5,8.5,7,8.5. ( 7 was in writing, I guess that was because my hand writing is now very bad !!)... But more than enough score for my needs ! Would highly recommend it.
on 30 July 2009
It's certainly cheap, and it has some excellent pieces of advice, especially when it comes to Task 1 writing. For the price, you get 4 complete practice tests, BUT only one of these has a listening soundtrack! For the others, you're invited to 'refer to the tapescript'.
Huh? Also, the soundtrack you do get has been recorded by actors who seem to be taking the mickey out of it. Some of the 'model answers' for task 1 contain emotion and speculation, which is contrary to all advice I've ever read. And there are quite a few misprints and errors, both in the main book and the answer key. Tread carefully!
on 9 November 2008
if you are not familiar with ielts exam, this book may help you because there are quite enough examples for four modules (listening, reading, writing and speaking), which makes you familiar with the real test. and its cheap price could be also taken into consideration as an advantage.
but on the other hand, answer keys could have been more organized especially for listening section. secondly there are four modul tests and each of them covers four sections however only the first modul test has listenig audio while the rest 3 modul tests have not. it is very ridiculous to read listening passages by looking script and then answer questions.totally pointless.
Barron should not have been too callow.
but I did not regret buying it, to be honest. helpful to a certain degree.
on 4 April 2011
It is an excellent book for reading and writing tests. I learnt a lot and definitely improved my performance.

My dissappointment is with the listening tests. The model tests provided written scripts for the listening tests. It had the first 29 audio conversations and then I had to read the scripts for the other listening model tests. This was dissappointing.

Overall I give credit to the Reading and Writing Tests for General and Academic tests.

Dr. M. I Patel
on 30 September 2014
The book was a bit late to arrive. About 3 or 4 days but a tlast it is far better for my expectations. Very good Quality with the audio disk. It is just perfect.