on 4 January 2016
the best book in the world. we learnt 30 word already and we are very happy with this book.
the layout is amazing.
the text are very clever and educational
only five words a day.
the words are repeated later in the book so you don't forget anything!
the idiom are lovely and the sentences are funny.
we work together me and my 11 year child. we make copies and work and discuss the text, the meaning of words, the idiom and we very much enjoy this book. I took a picture of the cover and sent it to all my friends who have children in secondary schools or people who want to improve their English. I will happily give it a hundred star if I could too.
the best purchase!
I will buy more and send it to family members who study English as a second language.
on 12 December 2016
I use this to help extend the vocabulary of older pupils who are struggling with reading. Their lack of reading has had a detrimental effect on their understanding of words and this seems to be working well. I add images to the words to create a visual link with a sentence. Would recommend.
on 28 June 2013
Please ignore my previous review, the newer (!) edition costs a fraction of the price, this being a waste of money already! The pronunciation guidelines are hard to follow due to the non-regular system. The exercises and their order are a pain to follow, I don't feel like I am learning and I need to use additional dictionary for clarifying the pronunciation. Worst waste.
VINE VOICEon 6 December 2007
Echoing the other reviews this book sticks to the task of giving a few words every day in the context of a short piece taken from a wide range of source types. My slight reservations are around the US authorship (and a lot is -ize instead of -ise to explain to my kids).

Having now got this I realise it is aimed at reasonably advance KS3 readers (and indeed adults, there being many words I now find out I don't quite use correctly).
on 27 April 2013
If you struggle with words such as humility, pragmatic or (I kid you not) technology then this is the book for you. Others may find How to Build a Better Vocabulary more helpful, although that comes with its own drawbacks.
on 5 November 2016
Very useful addition to the book. Using it to extend vocabulary of 1:1 pupils.
on 11 June 2017
Dear sir or madam. Sorry to say that book 110 words you need to know does not make any sense to me , badly laid out I don't understand any of those words I wish I can send it back.
Salah O'Mara.
on 25 September 2017
Great product, very useful.
on 22 March 2017
I love this book
on 6 August 2008
I bought this book a few years ago. It's still a great book. I highly recommend it to anyone.

As I'm a late learner in my forties, I would say this book has much augmented my vocabulary. Moreover, I've bought nearly ALL the vocabulary books from this website. I have SAT vocabulary books as well, all great too.
My review on this book: I rate it as one of the very BEST. I most read this book during tea breaks, during quiet period of business in shop, during babysitting. It has all the key answers to questions, articles with examples of usage, etc. Blank spaces around text allows me to pencil down my notes, mostly examples of usages. Every page has my pencilled notes. That's how much I love the book.