on 24 April 2006
This book is excellent. I was a bit wary when I ordered it thinking it would either be for climbing snobs or only of use to boy scouts. I am pleased to say however that while it is easy to read and understand, with good honest descriptions of what each knot is best used for the style encourages you to want to learn more.

I am pleased to say the book starts by making it clear that it is not a manual that once read means the reader will instantly become an accomplished climber and recognises that its contents are but one ingredient (all be it a vital one) in the receipe to successful and safe climbing.

Top marks for a compact, but easy to follow, informative book that really delivers.
on 10 February 2009
Having read a number of knot books, I was pleased to discover that this was one of the good ones. A lot of books don't have sufficiently clear instructions and photos/diagrams for the reader to learn the knots, making them rather useless. This book however did have good concise instructions and diagrams of how to tie the various knots. The book also includes practical information on rope strengths, knot and rope uses, how to pack ropes, all of which is very useful for putting the knots into practice. A few more photos of the knots could have improved the presentation of this book but overall a well put together, useful book for those wanting to learn climbing knots.
on 25 August 2013
I am an experienced climber and wanted to revise some knots and learn a few new ones. This book is badly written and the diagrams are impossible to follow with too few steps. It shows a start, then the next step is too far along and you cannot see how to tie it. The words do not help. I even looked at the knots I knew well and tried them. There are easier ways to tie them and to explain it. Finally it is American so the knots sometimes have different names, that is not a problem, but if you want to learn UK knots choose a UK book. Save your money, there are better knot books.
on 13 December 2010
Being a person who has always struggled to visualise knots I found this volume very helpful. Whereas many guide books of this type use diagrams which obscure important angles or miss out steps of the tying process, this book illustrates each step with clarity and precision.

Prior to using this guide I struggled to learn the basic knots suitable for climbing. I now know every knot for my SPA instructors award and feel confident in my abilities. If you combine this book with a lot of practice, you will notice similar results. Highly recommended.
on 9 June 2010
Includes the most essential knots in climbing. The illustrations are easy to follow and most (if not all) knots have their pros and cons listed as well as the most usual stupid user errors. Does not contain very advanced stuff, but I'd recommend for anyone (especially beginners) interested in rock climbing. As most climbing books, does not replace a good instructor, but works very well as a reference.
on 28 June 2013
Not an overly helpful climbing resource, but does what it set out to do... Ensure climbers are familiar with the basic knots and also introduces more specialised knots. If you want a general resource for climbing then this is "knot" for you, but of looking to improve and broaden your knot skills then do "knot" look any further!
on 9 February 2011
I ordered this book for my 9 year old daughter as she does rock climbing. The delivery was great. When we got the book my daughter was very impressed at how the diagrams show you how to do the knots. They were easy to follow and understand. I would recommend this book for young as well as old.
on 21 May 2015
necessary
on 25 February 2009
This book is a little basic but has all the knots you need to get started.