on 1 September 2010
My husband is diabetic and we already had a copy of this book, I bought this copy for a relative. It contains extensive information of low Glycaemic Index foods and recipes, which you don't acquire from short visits to advisers. After a week using the recipes, we felt fitter and my husband had tightened his belt by two notches. We found this book so informative, we recommedMagic Foods for Better Blood Sugar (Readers Digest) for the information even if you don't use the recipes.
on 7 August 2010
This book is excellant for people with diabetes as it tells you what foods help high blood sugar levels to decrease and how certain foods help keep it low.
It also has some excellant recipes two of which I have tried already and they are superb, full of flavour but not too much carbs.
on 28 September 2013
This book is brilliant for anyone with type 2 diabetes - if you stick to its rules the results are amazing. I have ordered this book for friends who have had the same success.
on 18 August 2015
If you're a 'foodie' and you've already got 'Food' Books on your book shelf, don't waste your time and money buying this book as there is no new information to get. It's a bit disappointing because as a Reader's Digest, I really wanted it to be informative, but the books I already have are 'more' informative.

The Information on Sweet Potatoes does not highlight that there are two types of Sweet Potato and what the differences are between the two - one Sweet Potato has orange flesh, the other has a white flesh - but which is better to regulate 'Blood Sugar' this Reader's Digest Magic Foods Hardback Book mentions nothing. However, it does mention Yams.

There is a Contents Page and an Index for you to tailer your studies to suit your personal needs.

Thank You!
on 23 September 2013
Excellent book. It gives advise and guidance on how to change your diet from the quick sugar fixes that we currently eat to foods that will reduce the rate we absorb the sugars in everyday food. It describes the sugar rollercoaster we are on and helps us to control it. Great recipes as well as how to use foods with a low glycaemic load to reduce the effects of the bad foods we like and to make our food more healthy. It helps to educate as to good quality food for diabetics and suggests ways we can change our diet so as not to be insulin resistant - glucose intolerant - and for those at risk to hopefully stop them from actually becoming diabetic.
on 12 March 2014
I have bought three copies of this book in all, two of which i bought as presents for other people and they have been as delighted with it as i am. I have been reading about blood sugar, low GI and diabetes for years but it always seemed a bit complicated to get my head around but this book spells it out beautifully. After reading this you will want to eat as healthily as you possibly can and will think twice about putting that piece of chocolate or processed food in your mouth because you will understand the consequences. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in living a healthy lifestyle.
on 12 July 2013
Very well written, very informative, explains *why* food combinations work, rather than just telling you so, has some great comparison charts indicating what you *should* eat more (or less) of, but never says - you *cant* - it explains why you should cut down, and suggests alternatives or combinations so you can still have a bit of what you like.
on 17 May 2014
This book arrived next day. It was in such good condition I wondered whether I had accidentally ordered a brand new copy. The content is interesting and I am going to follow up some of the suggestions in order to bring down my blood sugar levels which have unfortunately been rather high lately.
on 1 June 2014
Really excellent and informative book with straightforward recipes to back up the factual section. Really helpful, as it isn't about weight loss, but health.
on 29 May 2015
This arrived 3 days ago, since when I've been glued to it....so comprehensive and without doubt the very best book on the subject I've read (and that's quite a few - there's a strong history of diabetes in my family and I'm doing my utmost to break the link...got to 61 years old all-clear so far, fingers crossed).
This has helped me to refine my diet to the point where it's pretty damned good I reckon...off to Waitrose shortly to stock up on oatcakes, barley bread etc....shall feel like a proper posh Waitrose shopper at last!!