Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 20 January 2005
I came across this book the other day when I was in a bookshop wading through statistics textbooks, trying to find a decent explanation of a mixed ANOVA. This was the only work (out of at least 12) that used helpful examples and simple phrasing to explain this type of ANOVA in some detail, rather than just saying it's a mixture of other types of ANOVA. I was sufficiently impressed to buy the book and read through it. The authors have produced a lucid and straightforward explanation of experimental design and statistics for the uninitiated. The focus is on psychology reports, but the principles apply equally well to other fields. Some textbooks either explain the statistics in incomprehensible detail, or tell you which buttons to click on in SPSS but then leave you hanging. The authors of this book have struck a good balance, and one of their strengths is their very clear explanation of what these statistics really MEAN, and how to present them (including how to write up the report). Field and Hole have introduced humour to lighten a turgid subject. Others have tried this, and failed. Here the humour was sometimes amusing, and never irritating (which is something). One small criticism: I found Part 3 slightly repetitive, as it included a quick guide to writing up a lab report, as well as running through this point in greater detail. To sum up: I wish I had had a copy before I started writing up my dissertation (or preferably, before I designed my experiment!). This book will be a godsend to undergraduates and Masters' students. Andy Field and Graham Hole, I salute you.
on 6 February 2011
I brought this book on the advice of other Psychology students who had aleady completed the course I was studying (DSE212). The course stated that I needed no further materials to complete the assignments yet when it came to conducting a quantitative study and completing a psychological report based on this study I really struggled with understanding the paramatic tests and so became stumped. I would have failed this assignment if I did not have this book, not only does the author relax you with the friendly text and writing style but it is easy to refer back to during the report writing process when you inevitably become stuck.
on 2 June 2006
This book was a Godsend! Having just started in this subject and never having conducted an experiment before, I found this book invaluable. It takes you through everything step by step, even offering laughs along the way! Everything is explained fully yet made easy to understand. This has to be by far the best - and funniest - textbook I've ever owned!

I would definately reccommend anyone to buy this book, it is excellent.
on 5 May 2009
This is an excellent book for writing up reports. Gets you into good habits so would be worth getting early on in your course. As a psychology student myself I found it extremely useful for writing my dissertation and only got it this year. Guides you through how to choose relevant statistical tests, select what type of study you have and most importantly how to write each section, eg. the inroduction, methods, results, discussion with examples. Wish I'd had it sooner!
on 19 February 2012
The situation: I was invited for a written test on reserarch methods and statistics, for the doctorate in Clinical Psychology course at a certain uni. I was given about a weeks notice of the test and absolutely panicked when I got the offer, as I had not studied anything to do with stats or research since I left uni 3 years ago.

The solution: Initially i got out my undergraduate statistics book (statistics without maths for psychology) and a research methods book, i started reading it however, due to the sheer amount of information, I barely got into the first chapter with 4 days left until the test. I read an online review about this book and from what i'd heard, it sounded amazing. A short book, yet very comprehensive in stats and research... all in around 350 pages! As the reviews on the forum were so good, I decided to buy it on express. I got it the next day, all I can say is that it was amazing!

I read the book within 3 days and went from feeling unconfident to actually learning (not remembering as one should do with revision lol) what T-tests, confidence intervals, ANOVAs etc were. I sat the test yesterday, and I must say that if it wasn't for me cramming in the last 3 days, I would never have been able to answer the questions. This book makes it so much easier and whether you are one of the last minuters (like me) or not, it's worth every single penny. Andy Field (and Graham) are amazing teachers and how they make statistics enjoyable is a miracle. The book is unique in the way that it uses something i've never seen before - amazingly funny humour. At times I was in stitches with the jokes they used - one example of the ways to study the differences in alcohol consumption and how this would influence men/women in snogging a dog (it doesn't make sense now but trust me, once you read the book you'll understand! haha). I could engage in the book and read it more like a novel rather than a info-heavy textbook. The proceedure is explained from start to finish, in a way that is so nicely paced.

I would definately recommend this book to both undergraduates and postgraduates as it is a book I will be recommending to others.
on 25 April 2006
I always wanted to get this book and now I finally bought it. What can I say..some books can be used as doorstops, weights etc and some you should read and dive into..so guess what this book falls to the latter description. It helps you so much in going through the steps of experimental designing, even after you have designed one and have no where to go..this really can help you. It provides the necessary stimulation to your brain to work properly, thats whats best about it. Several thousand CHEERS to Andy and Graham (The Knights of Statistics).
on 6 January 2015
Andy is always complaining in lectures that some people leave bad feedback on his textbook...here you go, now please boost my lab report mark a little. In fact, I'm writing this on the day of my 'Discovering Statistics' exam. Hey ho.
on 1 November 2005
Andy and Graham, from the bottom of my heart: THANK YOU!
If like me you're a student who hasn't got a clue about experiments buy this book! It's full of wicked imaginary experiments that illustrates the arguments. Very funny indeed!!!
Everything is made so easy to understand.
BUY IT!!!
Thank you so much!!
a Sussex graduate
on 1 May 2015
Excellent, a real asset for a psychology student in their second year, blended with a very unique sense of humour which really does make such a difference to what many find such a daunting subject, myself included initially. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to others, normal text books can present this subject in a very dry manner and Andy/Graham's book shows great understanding of the need for a book such as this which makes you smile through even the most challenging elements of this complex subject.
on 27 June 2014
Definitely well worth the money!! I bought this whilst studying Psychology at undergraduate level and can honestly say it was the best decision I made! I struggled with SPSS and designing experiments but this book explained things in a MUCH simpler way. There's humour throughout and it's very cleverly written with diagrams to aid learning. I'm tempted to say I could have not had any teaching all year on this subject and would have passed exams with this book alone - excellent textbook learning!!