Customer reviews

on 4 October 2015
Well worth reading for anyone regardless of their modality.
on 2 February 2017
Good book and happy with my purchase
on 2 September 2012
This is a beautifully written book and a must have for all trainee counsellors and psychotherapists. It breaks the therapeutic relationship down to the core of what it is really all about, meeting another human being at a depth that goes far beyond the surface level of relating. It has been a refreshing read to someone who in training has become a little bogged down with techniques and 'getting it right'. The case studies give a much needed insight into the therapeutic encounters of the author, with an open and honest evaluation by the author of his own work. I have never seen this before in a book of this kind.By sharing this material Dave Mearns gives you a gift. After reading this book I went back to clients with a refreshed pair of eyes and ears and with the knowledge that your openess to a meeting of relational depth can be enough.
on 2 December 2010
This book gets to the very heart of therapy work. It is beautifully written and is inspiring. Worth the money to bring a different perspective to your work. It's very thought-provoking.
on 29 January 2014
As a trainee counsellor needing an understand of what relational depth should feel like and the book delivers. It is also a book you can go back and find reference to a particular section when needed.
on 12 November 2014
Beautifully written and with enough case study examples to really make the theory relatable. I would highly recommend this book to anyone studying or working in the field.
on 2 December 2012
Using for my diploma in counselling these two author's are so informatI've. Explains relational death in lay man's terms. Easy to read.
on 20 March 2010
This is a book well worth buying and taking a couple of hours to read through. Mearns and Cooper share their extensive knowledge and clinical experience in a very natural and unaffected way. The clinical illustrations are great and the sense of humanity and compassion, for both client and therapist in this sometimes very demanding work of personal change and development, runs strongly throughout.
on 24 August 2013
This is required reading for a course I'm doing. I haven't started it yet so can't comment on the product, I can only comment on the seller. The book is in pristine condition and arrived in a timely fashion. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it today.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2015
Beautifully written! I agonised over which book to buy from my level 4 ABC course suggested reading list as I find study books boring and mostly only pick them up to write my units! I am so pleased I chose this book as I read from start to finish, I laughed and cried while reading it and am about to read it again as I do not want to miss a single word. Easy to read and will be invaluable to my training. I cannot recommend this book highly enough to anyone that needs to meet their clients at their core of being and who wishes to also meet themselves! I found with the 1st 2 chapters I needed to look some words up that I had never heard of before but was definitely worth the effort. This book has given me hope that I can be the kind of counsellor I am and not the kind that I feel I should be in accordance to certain skills and techniques.
Dave and Mick have a way of writing that bring the words to life and you cannot help but be emphatically involved while reading,
Take the counselling mask off and be human.