Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 April 2006
It is refreshing to come across Dave Mearns and Mick Cooper's latest book Working at Relational Depth in Counselling and Psychotherapy which stands in marked contrast to the Erskine manual Beyond Empathy.
From the start, it is clear that the authors are present in their work as human beings who are sharing their insight, and sometimes their uncertainty, with us. Their brief is to inform us rather than to sell us something.
I find it encouraging to hear that, even in the context of bodies such as the NHS, relational work is being recognised as having a role to play in the wider world of healing.
I would recommend this book to trainees, experienced therapists and especially to those involved in training.
on 2 September 2012
This is a beautifully written book and a must have for all trainee counsellors and psychotherapists. It breaks the therapeutic relationship down to the core of what it is really all about, meeting another human being at a depth that goes far beyond the surface level of relating. It has been a refreshing read to someone who in training has become a little bogged down with techniques and 'getting it right'. The case studies give a much needed insight into the therapeutic encounters of the author, with an open and honest evaluation by the author of his own work. I have never seen this before in a book of this kind.By sharing this material Dave Mearns gives you a gift. After reading this book I went back to clients with a refreshed pair of eyes and ears and with the knowledge that your openess to a meeting of relational depth can be enough.
on 2 December 2010
This book gets to the very heart of therapy work. It is beautifully written and is inspiring. Worth the money to bring a different perspective to your work. It's very thought-provoking.
on 20 March 2010
This is a book well worth buying and taking a couple of hours to read through. Mearns and Cooper share their extensive knowledge and clinical experience in a very natural and unaffected way. The clinical illustrations are great and the sense of humanity and compassion, for both client and therapist in this sometimes very demanding work of personal change and development, runs strongly throughout.
on 7 June 2009
Excellent examples of the authors' work, Not a good bedtime read - I found it needed my FULL concentration, but it was well worth the effort.
on 18 August 2015
Beautifully written! I agonised over which book to buy from my level 4 ABC course suggested reading list as I find study books boring and mostly only pick them up to write my units! I am so pleased I chose this book as I read from start to finish, I laughed and cried while reading it and am about to read it again as I do not want to miss a single word. Easy to read and will be invaluable to my training. I cannot recommend this book highly enough to anyone that needs to meet their clients at their core of being and who wishes to also meet themselves! I found with the 1st 2 chapters I needed to look some words up that I had never heard of before but was definitely worth the effort. This book has given me hope that I can be the kind of counsellor I am and not the kind that I feel I should be in accordance to certain skills and techniques.
Dave and Mick have a way of writing that bring the words to life and you cannot help but be emphatically involved while reading,
Take the counselling mask off and be human.
on 29 January 2014
As a trainee counsellor needing an understand of what relational depth should feel like and the book delivers. It is also a book you can go back and find reference to a particular section when needed.
on 9 June 2013
this is a wonderful book that is essential not only for those interested in the person-centred or humanistic schools of psychotherapy it should guide any therapists. Relationship, the backbone of therapeutic work, explained
There are at least two tensions within therapy - technique versus relationship. The former are those who laud their gurus along with their schools and then make claims about their superior efficacy. Six sessions of therapy and a prayer that the end result is a cure.

This book details the hidden realms within a therapeutic engagement the human transcendental connection that lies beyond the crude measurements of science. Interpersonal connection is one of the alchemic processes Jung tried to describe where people tune into thought frequencies. In effect it appears as a transcendental realm. Therapists when it comes down to it, are radio tuners, trying to find the voice within the client and then make a connection. The aim is to engender some form of emotional recovery.

The book is a refreshing breeze and details a way of being beyond the confines of the social autism that has wafted into the discipline from those who struggle with emotions and what they mean. As therapy tries to become more scientific it edges towards a creed which previously spent a 100 years in emotional denial. It was not psychiatry, psychology or sociology which discovered child abuse, neither was it psychotherapy, it was a journalist.

Does this not say something about the previous world we inhabited? It was a world riddled and monitored by the emotionally dead. This book however is a guide to the life force which lies beyond those realms. It is an antidote to the poisonous pedagogies which Alice Miller detailed.
on 2 December 2012
Using for my diploma in counselling these two author's are so informatI've. Explains relational death in lay man's terms. Easy to read.