Customer reviews

on 23 October 2008
As an early career academic I have found this set of books invaluable. I purchased them as a PhD student and have constantly referred to them ever since; when applying for jobs, organising my teaching, preparing for and attending conferences, applying for research grants, and trying to achieve some semblance of work/life balance. I've been lucky because I've received excellent advice, supervision, mentoring and support from senior colleagues in my career to date, but I know that others aren't so fortunate.

The ASK amounts to a mentor in a box. That's not to say that it could ever replace the genuine support of dedicated colleague, but in reality, many young academics don't have such a support system. Even if you do, the ASK goes a long way to overcoming midnight anxieties when a phone call probably wouldn't be appreciated!

Academia is also full of hidden rules and rituals that are seldom explained or forewarned, and I can think of no other resource that has helped me feel prepared to meet the challenges of this, shall we say, rather idiosyncratic employment sector.

I don't think I'll ever stop using the ASK, because it provides an excellent guide for the supervisor, advisor or mentor, drawing as it does on the authors' many years of accumulated experience.

Needless to say, highly recommended.
on 23 October 2008
This book was incredibly useful to me when I was applying for an academic position. It helped me with the application process but more importantly in negotiating with my prospective employers when I landed my job! With the advice in 'clinching the deal' I was able to request and hold out for a better package. The book is full of practical and useful information about building CVs, publishing, teaching, administrative duties, and getting promoted. It also offers important insights into navigating the complex interpersonal dynamics of academia. I highly reccommend it for academics at all stages of their careers!