on 3 February 2013
As a previous reviewer said, this book is a bit "copy and paste" from HE boards; it lacks focus and ideas are scattered far and wide. I found it too long and wordy to be useful. You could sit and read through it to get the best ideas, or open randomly to pick a project, but we weren't very inspired by either method! It is just too much info by too many people, cobbled together. It is much easier to peruse the best HE blogs and websites to get ideas.
4 people found this helpful
on 21 January 2018
A great standby for when feeling uninspired.
on 21 July 2016
Great stuff!!!
on 10 December 2016
Love this book! Totally reinforces my thoughts on home education.
on 6 February 2016
all good
on 7 December 2002
I have great respect for Linda Dobson's work, and own most of her books - on the strength of past experience, I pre-ordered this one before publication, but it didn't live up to expectation. Although the first couple of chapters are great, the rest of the book reads to me like a collection of ideas from an HE mailing list. While there is nothing wrong with that per se, I feel the activites lack a clear context or background, and I can't imagine how I would use it. My advice would be to spend your money on one of Linda's other excellent books, join a couple of email lists, and pose some questions there about activities. If you want more specific information, I prefer the Peggy Kaye series of books.
36 people found this helpful
on 5 June 2017
Brill but if you live in UK then a UK based home ed advice book maybe more useful as many groups/activities /websites referred to are US based
4 people found this helpful
on 19 October 2017
Not the best book. Very American orientated. Haven't used any of the ideas in it. Better to buy a national trust membership and look on Homeschooling pages on Facebook for ideas.