Customer reviews

on 17 September 2014
Very pleased
VINE VOICEon 8 June 2003
This excellent guide is helpful for viewing every last cut-scene, alternate ways of doing things and finding that elusive magnum in Resident Evil. It also goes into detail about how to unlock all the extra features, which is helpful because I found out games magazines were rather vague about them. It also comes with a half-decent poster, which really sealed the deal for me. It also comes with lots of information on the Resi timeline, which, although slightly outdated by Resident Evil Zero, is still a good read.
on 20 August 2010
After finishing Resident Evil I knew there had to be any easy way around the mansion, or a least a proper order for the collection of items, so when I saw this was guide available I decided to buy it.

The book is a full-colour guide and walk through which features both general images of the characters and screen captures from the game.

The book provides a guide on how to move your characters (walk, run, dodge, duck, etc); medical supplies (herbs, sprays, kits, serums, etc); weapons guide; main characters and enemies descriptions. There are also full colour maps showing location of the various collectable items.

Game play is covered by a comprehensive walk-through, giving side-by-side walk-through of the game for both Chris Redfield (yellow/green) and Jill Valentine (red). Areas where both characters would have crossed are not bordered.

There are a couple things I don't like about the walk-through type guides:

Firstly, they do not allow freedom of movement, they take away the players ability to think for themselves by literally telling you every step to make.

Secondly, in order to follow the walk-through you have to keep pausing the game in order to read the next set of instructions. They take away the continuous playing that I have become used to with games like this, and for me that removed a lot of the fun of the game.

What I did do was take a quick scan through the book's walk-through and pull out the items in the order that the book recommends they are collected, along with the place where they are to be used.

One of the benefits of the book for me came in the creation of the V-Jolt substance to kill Plant 42. I made a number of mistakes when I came to make this myself, meaning that the character Chris Redfield died a number of times and I had to restart the game from the save point. This step by step chemical addition was, for me, one of the most valuable items within the walk-through text.

Most of my time, however, has been spent looking at the tables and flowcharts from page 106 to 110.

As somebody who is new to the Resident Evil series I have become completely fascinated by the "Character Relation" chart and the information packed "Timeline of Terror". The latter I have returned to a number of times as I have added more games and novels to my collection for further explanation of characters and scenarios. For example, the mention of Steve Burnside and Sherry Birkin made no sense to me until I played and completed Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii), meaning that once I had played and completed that game I return to the timeline and we've read the relevant information with more understanding.

There is a "sealed section" which gives you a number of various scenarios for the ending from "superb" to "appalling". I admit that my first attempts with both Chris and Jill ended with the "appalling" scenario. Also inside the sealed section is information on special weapons, and real survival mode, invisible enemies and costume changes.

Other than the game itself I have to say this has been one of my better Resident Evil purchases, mainly due to the Timeline at the back of the book; and as a bonus it also applies to the Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (Nintendo DS) game.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 November 2003
This book is a complete walkthrough for the Gamecube's top-notch title Resident Evil, and it is a spectacular success.
The reworked version of the classic survival horror game is nearly a masterpiece; it's a good example of what the 'cube can manage and it even puts a lot of current PC titles to shame. But it's also a big game, with a lot of items and a lot of ground to cover (certainly after the amount of backtracking you will need to be doing). So if you get stuck, you have three real choices: 1)Ask someone who's finished it, 2) Check it up on the 'net, or 3) Just pay out the cash and get this excellent guide, like I did. And you will not be disappointed, as it is as near complete as any guide will ever get.
The book itself contains just about everything you need. That includes a description of all the weapons and their appropriate uses (that means, which enemies they are best suited for killing), the same for the items (including locations and uses where items are specifically named). There are a few handy gameplay tips that might help you stay alive a bit longer, or generally take a bit less damage. And then there is the walkthrough itself.
Now, a game like Resi can be tackled in several different ways, depending upon the sequence in which you do things, and which character you are playing as. And the guide follows the same general course, making notes about events and problems that will happen to you depending upon whether you are controlling Chris redfield or Jill Valentine. And depending on what you did earlier. And the guide covers it all. I have to say, I'm impressed. There's even a sealed section containing some of the game's secrets (fun).
But the interesting part of the guide is all the background material that has been thrown in; with a whole set of games in the series, it has become a bit confusing as to who is who in the overall story (not to mention a few inconsistencies between the games). It makes for fairly good reading on its own and while you could say it's just to pad out the page count, it's a good way to round off the book.
All in all I'm happy with this book. Prima game guides are well regarded for their quality, if not so well regarded for the limited print runs - and while the price tag isn't cheap, you still get the most comprehensive and well laid-out guides available on the market. I will happily say that as a PC gamer I already own a dozen of their excellent publications, from Mechwarrior to Baldur's Gate, and I will keep buying them as long as they keep bringing them out.
This book is worth Four Stars and is well worth owning if you are a real Resi fan. Now, do they do a guide for Zero...
on 23 October 2000
this book is really helpful. with the game being really hard this book can help you every step of the way. it gives you tips on how to defeat bosses and stuff. and has a guide at the back of the book on how to survive the extra games at the end of the real game. must buy if you are really stuck on the game.
on 29 May 2002
This book is a must buy for all those who want to complete Resident Evil on the Gamecube successfully. It has the complete walkthroughs for every character, tips, cheats and even a great free poster for your bedroom! It is by far the best tips book around for the game. A great tips book for a great game!
on 20 September 2005
This is one of my first prima guides and is my first resident evil guide. I must say that I was impressed as the guide is layed out and explains with good detail. It does neglect Chris story a little but is still worth getting. I bought this guide off e-bay for collection purpose and was very happy when I got.
on 24 July 2009
This item was in excellent condition and delivered on time and i am very satisfied with the service from this seller.
on 7 February 2017
Prima gives a super guide here and resident evil games are tough so strategy guides are worthwhile purchase
on 12 March 2001
i have been using this guide and it is brillant its the most helpful guide i seen i been able to conserve ammo and get further without dying i haven`t completed it yet but what i like is the fact with the puzzles it tells you what to do but you need to remember some codes for your self this is written with witty humour and is superb