Customer reviews

on 20 November 2003
Although I don't have Borderline myself, I bought this book for a close friend who has recently been diagnosed. I found it quite useful for understanding a little more about the condition myself.
The book is written in a clear, easy-to-understand style, and has lots of helpful information.
My friend liked this book, and they in turn have lent it to several other people at their group therapy sessions, all of whom rate it very highly. I first came across 'New Hope...' on a site for Borderline Personality Disorder that listed this as one of the top recommended books.
One advantage of this book is that is is quite up-to-date, and so has more information than some of the older books on the subject.
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 June 2007
Although this book can be helpful in places, describing the dynamics of BPD well and accurate, this book serves to ignore the fact that it is a medical/psycholgically reasearched fact that BPD is largely the result of learned behaviour throughtout childhood as a result of inadequate parenting. It also fails to explore the dynamics of such parenting, the possibility that BP's parents have strong traits of the disorder, and the lasting affects this has possibly had on the BP. If you have experienced any childhood abuse, whatever form this may have been, my advice would be to purchase 'Healing Your Emotional-Self by Beverly Engel. This is a much more informative and accurate book.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse