on 16 April 2012
We bought this book as we are expecting our first child and wanted some ideas. I have to say that the girls section is much better than the boys section and we have got quite a few ideas from the girls. The problem is with the boys. It is very American, and the boys section seems to be made up of names that are actually surnames, yet Americans are using them as first names. You like Mick Jagger? Why not call your child Jagger? It also has one awesome gaff. Under the section of Celtic gods, it suggests calling your child "Wogan" the god of laughter. It isn't even an ironic tongue in cheek entry as it is next to actual Celtic gods! Oh and there are a lot of American sounding animal names and hunting related names.
on 23 February 2012
The book has lots of traditional names but we found many to be American so not really for us.
However, I thought the introduction was useful.
on 10 June 2011
As well as being a mother, I'm also a name enthusiast, so I own lots of 'baby name' books. This is, without doubt, already one of my favourites. As someone who prefers names with real meaning, and a rich history, this book was always going to be a winner with me. Too many 'baby name' books have countless trendy, creative, made up and badly spelt names. This book doesn't. It DOES have some of the more modern/trendy names, but Jennifer Goodwin is quick to point out the flaws of such names (i.e. that they'll date quickly), and often suggests one or two not-so-trendy alternatives that are similar in style/flow. Jennifer is keen to point out, that she herself fell victim to 'trendy name syndrome', as Jennifer was hugely popular in the US during the 1970s/80s but has now fallen out of favour. As such, the name has dated quickly, so Jennifer DOES know what she is talking about. The book is aimed at American audiences, as some of the names that Jennifer highlights as deserving to be brought back, are already back in the UK (i.e. Beatrice). However, that aside, this is still a great book for anyone who doesn't want a 'baby name' book filled with thousands upon thousands of trendy/creative/made up/badly spelt names, and instead just wants a book with good, solid names. There is a good selection of names too, such as timeless classic names that are always in style (Elizabeth, Sarah, Charlotte, John, Robert, Alexander), but also names with a history/pedigree that you don't hear much/as much these days (Mabel, Frances, Kezia, Josiah, Edmund, Richard). A great book and I recommend it to any expectant parents and name enthusiasts alike.
on 26 September 2013
Lots of names in the vein that we were considering and a lovely little book for browsing names and getting ideas.
on 5 January 2015
A small, chunky 500+ page book that is cute, funny and with a different selection of names than traditional books. I am very happy with the purchase. It provides much useful information on origin, nicknames and alternatives as well useful groupings (if you like X name, try X name, etc.). Also groups names by associations, e.g., biblical, country, etc. which is quite fun. With over 1000 names it is a nice resource.
on 8 March 2015
I was really disappointed by this book. I expected a book full of old-fashioned names but it has all sorts in it, just like any other baby name book but has less names in it than most! It also has descriptions which have put me off some names that I had previously liked!
on 27 February 2012
Really enjoyed the humour and meanings behind this US publication. We were looking for a more traditional name so the book was useful in ruling out names that we would never ever use!But also gave interesting alternatives. Good value,and good fun, overall a great book.
on 6 June 2016
If you want a book for traditional names, this is it! No vast lists of names you haven't heard of and would never consider, just enough of the good ones along with their origins, meanings and potential associations (both good and bad)
on 1 November 2015
A good, informative book. The introduction section is worth a read. Although it does not contain a massive amount of names, I like the way it gives possible nicknames and suggestions for similar names.
on 8 October 2015
Quite a nice book but my daughters name isn't in it and its not a crazy celebrity baby name. Expected more traditional/old fashioned names in here to be honest.
New names for bump chosen though.