Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2013
Having reached the other side of 'mid forties', I realised there were gaps in my knowledge and understanding of what was coming up. I bought two books, one was useless and depressing, and this one was great. There is so much information in this book and it manages to strike the balance between being accessible and readable, without being patronising or dumbing down the information. It also manages to avoid the 'pamper yourself because this is all the awful stuff coming up' approach of the other book I bought. I firmly believe that forewarned is forearmed - if you need any information on what to expect as you approach menopause, this may well be the book for you.
on 15 February 2013
It is difficult to get answers regarding this stage in life. Nurses are too busy, and I am not sure male doctors understand. This book covers all the aspects that I can think of and makes practical suggestions. I would recommend this to any woman, and even their husbands too.
on 2 July 2014
For any person wanting to learn about the menopause, with nearly all the potential physical and mental health possibilities that it encompasses, this is well worth reading. The information is thorough, well-researched, clearly laid out in most places and is accessible without dumbing things down into catchy phrases or propagating the myths that surround entering the menopause.

There are a couple of drawbacks with the book; one, that it is U.S-centric, so the availability of medicines, medical assistance and healthcare checks is likely to have some variance depending on where you live and what healthcare is available (in Appendix 1 there's a list of possible health screening schedules and I've never even heard of some of them, let alone know if my doctor's surgery provide them as standard procedure).

The second thing is that although the authors do stress that not every single woman will experience every permutation of symptoms, the information can still be a little overwhelming. I'd suggest reading The Basics in Chapter One and then selecting further chapters that are relevant to any questions, symptoms or family medical history that are known to apply to the individual reader, rather than try to go through each section and perhaps provoke unnecessary anxiety about what may or may not occur.

Being informed is a good thing and The Menopause Book does that very well for most areas of interest.
on 25 December 2013
This is a good, overall reference book. I like that it is written in a such a way that you can dip in and out of it as and when you have 5 or 10 minutes here and there. It is easy to read and answers not just the common questions but quite a few obscure ones, too.

I would recommend reading it on the younger side of 40 to get a head start in understanding what is yet to come ...
on 11 December 2013
I found this book very helpful. I wanted to know more about the menopause & this book is very good.
on 21 November 2014
I do not like the way this book is written as it is written in the form of questions and answers rather than a chapter giving information on a particular subject. The particular aspect of the menopause I was concerned with was hardly mentioned so I was disappointed and found it a waste of money.
on 28 June 2014
Although this rather hefty tome is written in the USA and has a few americanisms don't let this put you off buying it. There's lots of information in here that is easy to refer to because each chapter covers a different subject in a question and answer style. The authors are very well informed and it has recently been updated to take new findings into account. I have this by my bed and dip into it now and again mostly to give me peace of mind that i'm not going mad and that my symptoms are pretty normal for a perimenopausal woman!
on 14 September 2014
This item was as stated. Thank you for a pleasant transaction
on 14 November 2015
Some useful ideas but a bit dated.
on 1 May 2015
not as i expected , ex library book , bit scruffy