on 4 November 2008
I bought this book on the back of 'What To Expect When You Are Expecting' and having borrowed this one from the library first. Both books are excellent, however I pre-ordered the 2008 edition, having read the 2004.

Why not 5 stars? Another review comments on the anglicising of the US law and support references, which is certainly the case in the 2004 edition What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect) but the 2008 edition is the American edition What to Expect the First Year and all the references are to the US system, some of which are completely different to UK, eg in the US the hospital files for your baby's birth certificate, here you register baby yourself. (A fairly obvious difference which is made very clear in hospital if you weren't already aware, but what else may be less obvious?)

This is not the book's fault, it's just not clear in the listing, so I mention it here. On the whole, the general advice is just as relevant wherever you are.
on 11 August 2009
I was complaining that babies don't come with manuals and then I found this book! Together with "What To Expect When You are Expecting" I found these the most useful pregnancy books. If you are looking for comprehensive practical information on your child's development, problems, how to do things, etc in the first year then this is a great book. It is more practical than touchy feely though so is less focused on the emotional or psychological side of things.
on 14 February 2013
best book on the market for detailed pregnancy 'journaling'. The book is well laid out and easy to use with useful reminders, tips and information for that precious time.

The book is funnily hard wearing considering its gets alot of flicking through.

Highly recommended.

Purchased from Amazon as i find it reliable and cheaper than anywhere else.
on 26 June 2013
Interesting and, if you liked what to expect when you're expecting, as you'd expect. It is worth noting though that it is written for the US market and some of the information is to relevant to the UK.
on 25 August 2012
I really liked this book. It is organised by months and gives some basic information as well as answering a lot of practical questions that I was asking myself. It has very usueful tips and also some practical sections on illnesses, how to dress baby in all weathers and relationships between the parents. I highly recommend it as a reference book.
on 23 September 2015
Not what I expected, not enough useful info for the daily/weekly diary and checklists.
on 4 March 2013
this is a must read for every inexperienced mom ever. Even though a lot of references are for the american reader. its still a very good resource.

it gives you practical advice missing from other books in addition to the standard ones.

its by my bedside and my 1st point of call for every situation
on 16 April 2014
Great book, I got good use out of it. There is a lot to read and I found it helpful to read a few bits at a time when I was pregnant, so I indeed knew what to expect. It gave me peace of mind when the baby arrived as I found that many things I worried about where written about in the book. I can't recommend it enough
on 8 March 2010
Even before my now 11 month old was born, I read through alot of this wonderful book. At the hospital when the baby was born, this book was right by my side and even today I constantly look through it as my main information source. A must have for all to be moms and will be your bible for the first year!!
on 14 January 2010
Like the WTE pregnancy book this also is extremely helpful!
I go through it month by month, so that I don't get stressed.
Would recommend it to first time parents 100%.