on 23 February 2006
I bought this book from someone on Amazon, and wasn't sure what it would be like, but I liked the other Stitch & Bitch books I have. It is a super book for keeping a record or your yarn stash, with spaces for samples, for those of us who loose the yarn bands! (Who me??) It is excellent for taking to shops & shows, so you don't buy more wool than you need, if thats possible! Its helpful on designing for yourself too,and you can keep records of what you have knitted as well. The only thing that would make it better would be a stretchy band around it, as all the wool samples make it fall open...Publishers take note! I thoroughly enjoyed filling it in, and keep it in my bag all the time. I hope this was helpful to you all!
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2005
This little book is handiness itself. Produced by Deb Stoller who also does the Stitch n Bitch books, it is a notebook for all your knitting requirements. The pages are filled with tips, lots of pages for designing your own sweaters (these are great as they feature a 'model' on them for you to sketch your design onto), more blank squared pages for designing intarsia perhaps, plus lots of log areas for your needle size inventory, yarn inventory, fave pattern details, planned projects and sizing for yourself, friends and family, whoever you may wish to make something for. It is the ideal size to slot into a knitting tote or if travelling light, a handbag, so is great for keeping there in case you happen to pass a yarn buying opportunity! It is well worth buying - for maximum designing, pair up with one of Ann Budd's multiple size books.
My only gripe, hence the 4 stars, otherwise it would be perfect! is that the 'brag pages' where you put in a pic of what you have made along with all the details, such as a snippet of the yarn, pattern used, etc, is too small for photos, so I ended up buying a small photo album instead. But don't be put off by this as it is a worthy purchase though for all you knitty persons!
on 10 October 2007
I've only just started working with this little book and already know it'll be one of those favourite little bibles that'll just stay with me. I will no longer have stray ball-bands lying around ("just so I know what I used for the future" - no, it ISN'T rational - you knitters know just what I mean), and it will replace the scrunched up scribbled pieces of paper containing the notes I made while knitting a jumper to the size of one of my kids at the bottom of one of my knitting bags. This journal will also motivate me to keep track of what I make as everything is in one place already. I really do see myself showing off this book to complete strangers, just like it mentions in the front. AND this little volume fits into your handbag so it can come with you when you go stash-hunting. ONE CAUTIOUS NOTE: if you cannot imagine EVER designing your own piece of knitting, then you may want to reconsider, as this journal gives you LOTS OF SPACE to work on your own designs. In summary: GREAT size, VERY USEFUL knitting tips, a very motivating way to START TRACKING YOUR LIFE IN KNITS. If you love knitting, GET this book. I don't tend to leave reviews. This journal made me want to spread the word. Enjoy!
on 1 January 2010
First of all, I must say that I am not much into pattern design. If you are, the knitter's graph pages alone could make this journal worth buying (there are LOTS of pages for that).

I got this journal a few years ago and used it for a couple of months. I am an organization freak so it was perfect for me: I could tick off the needles and hooks that I had, write down info on my yarn stash, sticky-tape in samples of the yarns, jot down the projects that I wanted to make and the ones I had already made. The journal is cute and a great size to keep in your handbag for a trip to the LYS.

However, after said few months, I went to add another project that I planned on making, only to notice that I had already used up all of the project pages. My stash pages were also rapidly filling up.

I have since discovered Ravelry (thank goodness) which basically does everything this journal does except for providing graph paper for pattern design. I currently have 61 projects lined up and 80 yarns in my stash - the book could not begin to deal with such volumes! Granted, hand-written notes are easier to take with you on the go, of course.

If the internet wasn't available and/or if I only knitted very little, I would certainly use this journal a lot. As is, I wish I had looked around online first.
on 3 January 2006
I was disappointed that the book, although helpful, is very much geared to the American market. Unless you have conversion charts for needle sizes etc. it could be daunting for the average European knitter.
11 Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 August 2009
To tell the truth, I did not expect anything special about this book, but when it came....wow, I love it! It has everything, everything that average and unusual knitter may need to point down during the knitting process. The book is not very big, well, it was the idea in order to take it everywhere, however, I would like it to be larger (for putting pictures of my done projects!). Really, a handy book to keep next to my working needles.
on 14 October 2011
Although I don't do any design for myself there are lots of pages available for you put your own designs on paper and it's nice to be able to take pictures and make notes about the yarn used and any problems you may have found on the way it also has a section at the back that illustrates simple knitting and crocheting and tips on finishing off and casting on and off so I really like it!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 January 2015
Fab journal - lots of pages for designs, knitters graph paper and lots more. Great buy for any knitter
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse