on 6 September 2009
I first started knitting when i was 17, but have recently got back into it at the age of 22. I already knew the basics, and i found the instructions to be clear and easy to follow. Some of it was bit confusing, but with practice comes knowledge. I'd advise any one with beginner to intermediate skill of any age to look this up.

The only problem I've had since knitting is that most knitting patterns look really old fashioned, or just plain ugly. A few of the items to knit in this are ok, but most of them i wouldn't be seen dead in, or waste my time creating. One of my biggest dislikes is the ugly 'go with anything cardigan'. Yeah, maybe if you're in your 50's. And what's up with that nasty, shapeless polo neck jumper? Seriously they need to get some nicer things if they want to appeal to a younger audience.

Also, i thought the double pointed needle guide was really vague, and didn't even have it's own pictures. It's one half page of writing, that's not really helpful with something that's quite intimidating for a first timer. In the end i had to look on youtube for help, and i mastered it in a hour!

So overall, it's a good book for instruction, the patterns suck, but i would recommend it for any interested.
4 people found this helpful
on 23 August 2017
I have had lots of knitting books and whilst they are OK they have lost me half way though, this is a great book, easy to understand and some great little pictures to help you along the way. Great explanations and easy to follow. Two items already made from the book.
on 23 October 2012
I really liked this book. The instructions were clear and good for beginners. At first I found the humor vaguely annoying but you get used to it and is quite nice to have it being taught as if by an actual person. The background history and added information was useful - some books and tutorials don't tell you where to find and which yarns/needles to use. The patterns were good but not all of them I'd necessarily want to make. There were some beginner patterns but I thought some were definitely too advanced for someone just learning to knit. I suggest you learn the techniques through a project (like a scarf or a hat) because it's rewarding and you use the skills in a 'real' situation. The book was American but you can substitute the yarns used quite easily and it does offer a needle size conversion chart for US and metric sizes. (Also the measurements were all in inches but it wasn't really an issue). Overall a good book for beginners but some patterns were a little advanced.
on 1 April 2017
This is the book which got me knitting again in 2006. Knitted Skully with anchor on front and plain sleeves. Learnt to knit continental and how to do short rows. All my students are told to buy this and Knitty Gritty The Next Steps.
on 19 March 2010
All around an excellent buy! I'm a new knitter and found the instructions easy to follow, as well as entertaining to read - for Ms Stoller writes in an amusing, entirely non-condescending way that makes even the pain of trying to learn something from scratch a bit more fun. I haven't got around to reading the whole of the book yet, or to go through all the proposed techniques, but if the first quarter is anything to go by I'd say that this is a very helpful source for beginners and a good reference for more advanced knitters. If I had to change one thing I think that the book would probably benefit from colourful pictures - if only from an aesthetic point of view. Finally, I didn't find the suggested projects all that exciting, with three or four exceptions but tastes differ and maybe that's just me. In any case, as far as I'm concerned this wasn't a problem, as I bought this book to learn how to knit and wouldn't mind spending some money on pattern magazines/books more to my liking when I get more familiar with the techniques.
on 27 February 2016
As a beginner knitter, this is my favourite knitting guide. I am teaching myself knitting, so a clear guide is very important. I enjoy her casual style of writing and find the way she explains things and diagrams easy to follow. I highly recommend this book.
on 11 February 2016
Love this book and have loved learning from it.
The only thing to point out is that it is American so the terminology is ever so slightly different and also the casting on that I learnt is not know by my knitting instructor!!!
This book was recommended to me and I'm so glad it was!! Good detailed instructions and patterns in there too to suit your progress!!
Everything you need to know!
on 11 March 2014
Sounded good when I read the other reviews, but very disappointed when I purchased it. I haven't knitted a single thing from this book, I didn't find it very helpful at all as a beginner and the book isn't that great to look at either. I would say this is for the more advanced knitter, not very inspiring.
on 25 May 2013
My daughter had and loved the Stitch n Bitch crochet book so I thought that the knitting book may be good for me. I didn't like the style of writing nor did I learn from the book as an okay knitter to start with. However .... I do think there is a good market for this book, perhaps a younger novice would gain more from it.
on 9 August 2013
I picked this up at the library along with another (for comparison sake because im "kiasu" like that) and learned to knit right off with it.
As an absolute beginner who had no idea even about the tools needed, this was really useful guide on where and how to start knitting. The illustrations and tips were extremely helpful - an extra I did not find in other knitting books. If you are, like I was, a total noob to knitting, pick this one up. Patterns wise, I havent tried any so I cant comment on accuracy (an issue other reviews brought up), but i did find some of the patterns attractive whilst a fair share were also too 'old' - can't win them all. Overall very pleased with this purchase because I know I will always refer back to it.