on 3 September 2003
The Pocket Parent offers a wide variety of specific tips to try in different situations in order to get more compliance and less defiance from my 4-year-old granddaughter.  I also have used some of the communication strategies on Grandfather and even he seems to cooperate more--the first time I ask!   I realize that when I am short of time and patience, it's easy to resort to the things that don't often work like yelling, threatening and criticizing. This quick read reference book clearly gives many wise alternatives with great examples to follow. Although some of the tips take practice, many suggestions have already worked for me. I also appreciate the humor...we all need to know we are not the only ones that ocassionally feel we are just about at our wits' end! Raising children today is definitely not easy, but it's the most wonderful job in the world...especially the second time around with the grandchildren!
on 30 September 2015
Bought for my sister who is expecting and keeps asking me about handling children... found this - perfect! Full of great tips on great ways to handle little ones. Wish I'd had a copy when I first became a parent. Wouldn't have made so many mistakes!
"Parenting can be a long, lonely road on those days when you're quite sure that no parent has ever gone through what you're going through. 'The Pocket Parent' is exclusively written for parents of preschoolers... 2's, 3's, 4's,& 5's. The authors give you support and humor, in kind and caring suggestions and stories, to help you find your way. It doesn't preach. Instead, it points to options we may not have tried. As the father of three young children, I knew the moment I picked it up that it would be dog-eared and highlighted in a matter of days. 'The Pocket Parent' is simply the best book on parenting that I've ever read.''
on 17 May 2005
Although this book is true to its title and literally fits in your pocket, it is filled with 400 pages of specific useful insight and advice addressing a variety of the most challenging toddler behaviours. Because it is written exclusively for four of the early years (2, 3, 4, and 5), I found the tips to be very on target and focused to my specific issues with my 3 and 5 year olds. I really liked the anecdotes explaining real life examples--They sounded so very familiar. The authors offer very down-to-earth, common sense advice that works. Highly recommended as a supportive easy reference guide for mums and dads with 2-5 yearolds.
on 20 February 2006
Whoever said that children didn't come with an instruction manual was wrong. This book proves that a lot of the issues that I experience (eg encouraging my children to listen) or am concerned about (eg dealing with strangers) can be learned through advice from others.
With a 4 and 2 year old, time is of the essence and this book allows me to quickly look up suggestions on how to deal with many of the day to day issues or to sanity check actions that I am instinctively taking as a Mummy. More importantly, the suggestions work! I would happily recommend it to any parent as it would, at the very least, provide a source of amusement and that in itself is a great start to dealing with any issue.
on 17 November 2003
I currently have twins about to turn 3, as well as a 6 year old and a 1 year old. Needless to say, the practical advice found in this book is priceless. Having looked at several books on parenting, this book stands out because of it's simple style, yet completeness in covering the topics addressed.
For all of the main areas that most parents have to deal with (tantrums, potty training, getting kids to bed, etc) this book has a section devoted to it - first with a simple question and answer dealing with the issue. Then, a list of tons of practical suggestions, briefly written with entertaining examples - this is the real meat of the book in my opinion - it's like all of the practical advice everyone has ever given on a topic is condensed into that part of this book. Then, each section ends with a bottom line conclusion. These "bottom lines" basically act as that little bit of support every parent needs to deal with the frustration of having kids.
My bottom line is: this book is a really great resource. It definitely makes the perfect gift for new parents, or even as a parent gift for the kids' birthdays. Believe me, a parent will appreciate it!
on 23 November 2001
I have finally found the book I have been looking for! It is perfectly sized to consult at a moment's notice; all you have to do is look it up...40 worrisome issues are addressed such as ANGER, BEDTIME, BAD WORDS, CHORES, DEATH, FEARS AT NIGHT, THE "GIMMES", LYING, MEALTIME, MORNING "CRAZIES", POTTY TRANING, SEPARATION ANXIETY, TANTRUMS, WHINNING, and more. It is written the way friends talk to each other...with compassion, humor and excellent practical advice. The format is geared to busy parents-- hundreds of quick bits of wit and wisdom to help a parent restore his or her sanity! The authors call the bullets of tips..."Sanity Savers". I love the short anecdotes that illustrate the skills, often demonstrating the exact words to try in order to communicate more effectively with a preschooler. I feel like I know the authors (Caroline grew up in England), and I found myself laughing out loud as I recognized myself and my children in the many examples of daily battles. I love the "Takeheart" section in each chapter that reassures parents that they are not the only ones who sometimes regret what they have said or done. We all need to hear that sort of thing over and over again. I feel as though I am no longer alone, especially on a very bad day. I'm delighted that I can take my friendly advisor with me literally in my pocket! The ideas really work and I already feel much more confident that I am good parent. I highly recommend this book; it is the only quick read A-Z book for parents of pre-schoolers that I have found on the market. And, it's reasonably priced, what a bargain!!
on 23 August 2003
I have twin 3-year-olds and a new baby. Needless to say, I find my patience and parenting skills being tested daily! Annoying sibling fights, anger towards me and the new baby, parent "deafness", whining tantrums in public--On a bad day, I defintely can use some friendly support. "The Pocket Parent" offers more than 1,000 sanity saving suggestions to try for the most common challenging moments with preschoolers. The alphabetical listing of topics enables me to quickly flip to the pages I need. This book does not preach with things you "must" do or "never" do. The topics addressed range from the very practical--surviving morning "crazies", bedtime, and mealtime to more profound issues, such as explaining death, nurturing self-esteem, and teaching values. The authors includes an interesting way of defining and using "Time-out" that has worked for us. "Pocket Parent" lifts my spirits with tips, humor and lots of reassurance that I AM going to make it!--(at least until tomorrow). My husband also appreciates the fact that there are many specific "Daddy" anecdotes that he can relate to. The book is fun to read and reasonably priced...great tips and comfort if you have a normal, but often challenging 2, 3, 4, or 5 year old.
on 18 November 2004
There are 2 books in my library about parenting - "Systemic Parenting: An Exploration of the Parenting Big Picture" (Gaskill) and "The Pocket Parent." I have no objection to buying more - getting as much information about parenting is worth the investment. I just haven't needed to at this point. Both are pretty amazing resources for parents (at least this parent). These books pretty much cover the spectrum of parenting issues and challenges that I have encountered and many I haven't
on 18 August 2007
This is fantastic. Really easy to dip in and find advice on specific topics, and written in great style - expert advice plus ideas from parents who are going through what you are. Arranged well, and goes into good detail on a wide range of topics.

What's made it 5 stars for me is the genuinely useful tips that raise a smile - eg: if you know you have to get the family out of the door early tomorrow morning, put your little one to bed already dressed (soft trousers and T shirt of course!). Now that's something I can use - and have - when we had to leave early to get to the in laws for lunch.. Priceless.