on 12 December 2012
A rapid run through a number of philosophical questions, although as ever Russell is readable when describing some quite tricky mental gymnastics.

The mark of this is that you actually feel you understand enough to be able to disagree (or agree!) with some of the arguments being put forward, even after only a couple of pages of explication, which can only be a good thing.
on 9 May 2013
This is a very good book set out in a clear and very readable style with an ability to explain difficult problems
effortlessly. It serves as an introduction to earlier philosophers as well, although not to the ancients particularly well.
Russell also invented mathematical logic which shows here at times, but it is not at all necessary to have a knowledge of this to read the book.
Although it is in no way a textbook, it is a very good accessory read and I would recommend it.
on 29 March 2013
I first read this 30 years ago and have enjoyed the re-reading.

Russell is not, I believe, regarded as being in the first rank of philosophers, but he does write with outstanding fluency, so as to make the concepts of the philosophical approach easy to follow. I'd recommend this book for anyone thinking of reading philosophy at university.
on 22 April 2013
I was looking for a modern precis of the major issues surrounding philosphy. Having read original works from Aristole, Hume, Locke, Kant, Berkley and Descartes I needed somthing to help pull it all together, and this work by Russel is an excellent solution to this.

It is possible to see the work of the quoted philosphoers in this work, but remains an easy and enjoyable read. One criticism is that the works of the earleir 'masters' is hardly referenced, so it lacks quality for research. Also some of the subject matter is disregarded in the name of brevity.

I've always been a fan of Russell and this is another fine peice of writing. At times, it's even quite funny - imagine the suprise of the chicken!!!
on 19 June 2012
Problems of philosophy describes the problem situation as Russel saw them at the beginning of the twentieth century, this is probobly best reasd after Histoty of Western Philosophy, this book is the most brilliant book I have read. I know Bertrand Russell's works, because I was a computer scientist and Russel was the creator of modern logic. The book is not technical and can be quite funny.

It covers the Pre-Socratics up to the 19040s. Cannot rcommend this book highly enough. Must Buy.
on 19 October 2010
I'm preparing myself for my Philosophy course in Uni next year and somebody suggested this book.

It's a fantastic book to introduce yourself to the subject and Bertrand Russell is a really good philosopher/writer. There isn't many technical terms and he doesn't really tell you what the topic is called but he makes the philosophy very understandable. Due to the age of the book, some vocabulary are quite hard and out of context and I couldn't actually finish a page without using my dictionary!

Overall a great book!
on 20 February 2014
really nice introduction to some of the major problems of philosophy - very well written and mostly accessible great stuff
on 11 December 1999
I study philosophy at A-level and I grew tired of books I just could not get to grips with. Bertrand Russel's book however was a breath of fresh air.
At the beginning of each chapter he outlines his aims and then at the end he gives an easy to understand conclusion. This makes the book so much easier to understand.
The chapters are nice and short and tackle something new every time, and so you never get bogged down in deep, complicated ideas.
I liked this book simply because of its (relative) simplicity, and even though it got tough in places, generally it was a delightful workout for the mind without leaving you exhausted.
Top notch common sense.
on 4 March 2013
I love Russell's clarity. I do not think many authors come close to him on this. I very much recommend the book.
on 1 September 2016
While this is only a brief overview of many philosophical problems, it does not claim to be otherwise. some of these concepts were rather tricky to understand I could certainly understand them enough to form my own opinion.