Customer reviews

Norwegian Handknits: Heirloom Designs from Vesterheim Museum
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 January 2011
A truly beautiful book and obviously a labour of love by the authors. The photographs of the end products are great but the old photos from Norway are awe inspiring. I lent this book to my Auntie who is an amazing knitter so the fact that she even wanted to look at this is praise indeed. I felt that the authors were respectful of the history of this knitting form but also that they were not afraid to take Norwegian heritage to the next level. I could imagine making everything in this so well worth buying and maybe letting your kids have a look too so they can have an insight in to the history of the ordinary instead of just kings and queens.
on 19 August 2010
This book was bought for my wife. As a knitter of 50+years experience she loved the designs, the patterns and the
history of Norwegian knits. She hopes to tackle some projects when the winter comes in. A good buy and great
value.
on 23 April 2010
This is a wonderful craft book that will also appeal as a coffee-table book to those who want to watch while you knit!
Beautiful pictures, and a real Scandinavian feel.
The patterns are easy to follow, and very inspiring, although i would have liked more info on where to get the wool.
A brief look in a knitting magazine will probably solve that problem.
Thoroughly recommended.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 February 2013
Have finished an entrelac sheep (with a couple of modifications), have just started another project and when I get the wool will be doing a third! This book is beautiful and will inspire you to try new project after new project! Have also learnt how to knit from left to right - very handy when doing short row knitting - and also how to do provisional cast on. You probably need to have done a bit of knitting before, but there are a couple of really simple projects and you will soon be wanting to do so much more!
on 1 February 2013
This is a fabulous book for anyone interested in traditional knitting. Great sections on the history of Norwegian knitting and superb colour illustrations of historical pieces and modern interpretations of them. Lots of things to try, gloves hats scarves and bags as well as larger sweaters and jackets. Mouthwatering!
on 25 February 2013
You could read this book in its own right, not just use it as a reference for knitting projects. Most of the patterns look quite complicated to me. I like the historical aspects of the book. I find the patterns useful to adapt for my own work.
on 5 February 2014
This book gives a fascinating insight into the history behind Norwegian knitting. The photographs are beautiful and the patterns are great. It is currently my bedside companion.
on 13 January 2014
Nice for my dob I always nite somthing now for my student and my shelf so I bay meny books her in amazon strong servis is good for my.
on 9 February 2014
Beautiful book! Looks possibly too hard for me to make any of it by the designs are incredible! Maybe I need some lessons!!
on 13 January 2013
These patterns are a little bit different and beautiful! Colours are very nice. This is worth of money! I like this book!