Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Flexibound|Change

on 23 February 2011
First and foremost, seeing the pic of the new 918 Spyder on the cover, I bought this book for an up-to-date history of Porsche. But, absurdly, the 918 has no mention in the book, not even in the index! It seems it was put on the cover as a clever (actually misleading) sales ploy. The models in the book only go up to about 2008 (e.g. no mention of the hybrid GT3 racer either). So, be warned.. I think what they've done here is pretty underhand.

Other than that the book is OK-ish, but nothing you won't find better done elsewhere. There are a few interesting pics, but the text is pretty lightweight - and the font selection makes it difficult to read. And there's a definite American feel to it (e.g. lots of photos of cars parked in driveways that presumably belong to the author's friends, and so on). It's not a book I'll be returning to very often, methinks.

I would have given it maybe three stars if it'd had a more 'honest' cover, but seeing as the very reason I bought it was because of the 918 on the front I've knocked a couple off just for the fact I feel somebody's tricked me. I'd love to know whose idea it was to put it out with this cover - the author, or the publisher? - but whoever it was deserves a real talking to. My suspicion is it's an American thing - the publisher is Motorbooks - I won't be buying their books in future.
on 29 September 2000
As the title says, this is an enthusiasts book all about the great car marque, Porsche. Although slightly dated, this journey from early models like the 550 and 356 range, right up to the 3.8 RSR of the mid 90's. Along with the road cars that Porsche are best known for, we have the chance to see how Porsche have taken to the track with great success. We get to see some of the Porsches from the indy car sceene and best of all we meet, what is probably the greatest racing Porsche of all times, the 917. The detail in which the author goes in to the models is just right, he keeps you interested without getting you boged down in the technical stuff. The book is complimented by some of the best photos you cuold hope for , with some great settings for some fine images of this great car marque.
on 7 April 2016
A good reference to the history of Porsche
on 17 June 2012
Buy this Book for the Pictures which after all is what Leffingwell is noted for. Minimal History and not padded out with it like so many Porsche Books. A nice one for the Porsche Fans Library.
on 22 February 2013
Essential - or, better, not unknown - text, excellent photos. Even the cover is worth the book. Many of the photos never seen everywhere.