on 6 August 2009
Standing alone, this book is brilliant, bringing the adrenalin of a mercurial sport right out onto the page. The scenarios change swiftly, almost from fortnight to fortnight in present day Moto GP, with riders falling like skittles from the top ranks to make way for rookies and returning has-beens alike. Broadbent has somehow managed to press the pause button allowing us a glimpse of the skills, risks, danger, daring, blood, terror, tragedy, and the power and the glory that are a normal part of life at 200 mph. The author also lays bare the brutal psychology of the sport and its effect on relationships and performance.
While I would highly recommend this well written, excellently paced book, I feel it should rather have been subtitled 'The Inside Story of Mike Hailwood and Moto GP'. Also, if you have read Valentino Rossi's book, watched 'Faster', watched a season of Moto GP and read the newspapers, you aren't going to find a lot of new information here.
But, unreservedly, a 5* read.
on 3 September 2009
This is the best book I have read about any motorsport, possibly any sport. It does not get bogged down in endless accounts of what we already know, but gives us the MotoGP riders in all their gory glory, warts and all, the crashes, insecurities, pranks, dreams and failures. I think the masterstroke is weaving Mike Hailwood's TT comeback into the text. That reads like a thriller rather than sports biog, and the similarities and differences with Rossi, a huge Hailwood fan, are enlightening. Maybe some photos would have added something, but this is a well-written, almost poetic, account of a sport, rather than giving us the usual wham-bam grease-monkey stuff. Brilliant.
on 4 January 2010
Given this a Christmas present and read it in two days whilst basking in the Sun. Found it an excellent read and particularly enjoyed the two track storyline of Rossi and Hailwood. Like a previous reviewer did find some of it confusing and had to re-read parts. Think it could have been edited better. Disappointed that there wasn't more on Sheene, my personal hero. Found the Casey Stoner and Chaz Davies storyline very interesting and how their paths went different ways.
on 28 November 2015
An interesting read and for that it receives four stars, the downside, for me is, the book contains absolutely no photographs, which, had it it would have lifted the book from 90% highly readable to 100% excellent...a regrettable oversight not including photographs... the one on the front cover is excellent.
on 17 November 2009
fabulous , fabulous book . if you are interested in motorcycle racing at all,you will love this book , it talks a lot about rossi and the political side of the sport. it also goes back to the days of mike hailwood , who is valentino,s hero . a very good read , i loved it
on 12 August 2009
A well written insight in to the world of Moto gp
and this book explores the lives of men that live closer to the edge than most of man kind. Rick Broadbent's passion and knowledge for this sport shines through on every page, A 5 star read I cant put my copy down.
on 28 November 2016
I did enjoy the insight into the lives of the various racer protagonists, coupled with the backstories explaining their motivations and their feuds.

However I found the writer's use of repetitive phrasing highly irritating, and I started skipping over these words after the 5th or 6th reading of them.

I'm not even sure why he does this. Perhaps to indicate a feeling of consensus at the time? Perhaps to express the mantras that some riders lived by? All unnecessary.

I found the sections on Biaggi particularly disrespectful, and I was no Biaggi fan.

Yes he was not an easy character to like at the time (has mellowed since retirement however) but I cringed when this writer repeated the same phrase about him over an over.

This guy is no Matt Oxley, and I doubt I'd buy anything else written by him.
on 24 November 2015
A fantastic insight into the thoughts, actions and behind the scenes shenanigans of some of the world's greatest motorcyclists. I had difficulty putting it down and although it flitted between timelines, it was easy to follow the threads. Well worth reading, whether a bike racing enthusiast or not.
on 26 April 2014
I'm a Rossi fan but this book has really widened my view of him... and not all for the good. Clearly he is an absolute star on and off the track but interestingly he did not come across as a very likeable bloke.

The reflections on Mike Hailwood's career and life are fantastic and this is one of the most balanced views of MotoGP that I have read. Excellent.
on 18 January 2014
Bought as I recently finished another of Rick's books (that near death thing), and am thoroughly enjoying this too.Well paced and full of little details you could only know from having been around the racers at the time. Excellent read.