on 31 October 2005
A missed gear change in my 911 bent all my exhaust valves and rendered my car's engine inoperable. My local porsche specialist estimated a price between £4000 and £6500 to fix it, which I didn't have! But by using this book, and with no prior mechanical experience whatsoever (I hadn't even changed the oil or spark plugs before) I removed the engine, stripped it down, rebuilt the top end with new exhaust valves, and reinstalled the engine. And it worked! It was all a long hard slog, but now I find it hard to believe that I'm commuting to work in my 911 which only a few months ago was in peices on a work bench! This would not have been possible for me without this book. It is fantastic - clear and comprehensive - and saved me from selling my 911 for salvage.
I strongly recommend this book to anyone wanting to rebuild a 911 engine dating up to about 1989. It is essential for beginners like me, as well as experienced mechanics (these engines are pretty idiosyncratic). After 1989 the 911 engines started getting things like hyrdaulic tappets, and aren't covered in this book.
on 27 February 2004
Just like Wayne Dempsey's previously-published book "101 Projects for your Porsche 911", this one is again a very pretty publication, made by a 911-lover for all other 911-lovers (of 1965-89 cars). Excellent colour photos, very well-structured layout, and very comprehensive and honest text. A recommendation to everyone who owns a 911 and gets underneath it every once and a while.
on 11 April 2013
Was considering removing and rebuilding my engine.
Read areas of concern and opened my eyes to some of the problems.
Helped make mind up to have garage do the work.
Book still useful for smaller jobs I can do without specialist tools and knowledge.
Great read and pictures to go with dialogue.
If you've got an air cooled Porsche get one of these!
on 3 July 2013
I bought this book not really knowing what to expect,how ever it it is truly a must if you have any interest in the
porsche 911.
I intend to buy a porsche 911 Targa, very shortly so this book is more of a bible,and if you like to repair the car your self
this will prove to be indispensable.
So glad i made the purchase
on 17 November 2009
Having restored a couple of cars and having to live with more or less obscure restoring manuals, this one is simply fantastic... easy explainations, and great pictures - engine rebiuld made easy!! Haynes and other publishers of similar litterature should really pay attention here!! Thanks Mr. Dempsey!
on 18 March 2013
This has been written by someone who "Can do the job" and is a must for anyone who works on Porsche engines.
on 22 February 2013
It is very informative and very detailed in the rebuild as well as the modifying for racing sections. Very good
on 7 September 2014
Good book a must have even if you don't work on your engine as these car are not cheap to fix.
on 22 December 2016
Great book, found it to be very useful and will implement some of the ideas in my next build.
on 28 September 2015
Very well written and superbly illustrated. A great read for any enthusiast