on 7 December 2014
This is a book that anyone planning to have children should read.
on 12 May 2013
This book has been a life-saver. I literally feel blessed to have come across this. The topic is quite specific, so unless you've been a victim of covert incest, it might be quite hard to truly understand the content. I've had terrible confusion about my sexuality, the idea of commitment etc. since I was really young. I felt like a freak because my friends were always in and out of relationships with boys and I found the whole concept petrifying. Even now, at 17, I'm still just getting there. This book opened my eyes to the realities of my childhood and gave me a new understanding of my feelings and my stifling relationship with my father. As somebody who is heavily interested in psychology, this book has also been really interesting ie. the idea of marrying to marry your parent etc., as weird as that sounds (a bit Freudian, actually). I feel a great sense of hope for the future and future relationships because I've been given the tools to work on loving myself and to acknowledge what happened to me.
The idea of covert incest has had something of a bad reputation because it's a fairly new concept without as much research behind it as, for example, overt incest. That's to be expected, though, because when it's explained, it doesn't sound nearly as serious or out rightly abusive as overt incest. But my response to that is that unless you've been a victim of covert incest, you couldn't possibly understand. It consumes you, just as overt incest does, and if you don't deal with it or come to terms with the abuse, it can and will ruin your life.
If you think you've been a victim of covert incest, this book is great. But don't just take my word for it.
on 12 January 2013
I had an idea about what this book was like, but as it was so short I wondered how beneficial it would be.

It is very easy to read and lays down the dynamics of what causes a man to be enmeshed to their mother.

Highly recommended.
on 7 September 2016
Its hard to review a book without spoling it for someone. Would highly recommend reading. Very interesting and thought provoking, to understanding a theory on how and why we have certain interactions and how certain things in our lives shape our futures.
on 5 July 2016
A very enlightening read into family dynamics and the long lasting effects on the individual
on 5 February 2017
An easy to read and clear description of events that happen in too many lives. For us it was the story of our lives in parts.
on 4 February 2016
Fantastic very informative easy to read