Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 November 2003
I was lucky enough to 'fall over' one of Lisa Gardners earlier books and have been hooked ever since.
This one is superb - she gets better every time.
If you haven't read any of her previous books; a few 'old' characters appear, but they are self explanatory and you will lose nothing from this plotline by meeting them for the first time.
As a rookie FBI agent Kimberley Quincy has a lot to live up to - her father being a legend in the service. From the moment she finds the first body and the very sexy Mac, the plot twists and turns at breakneck speed, the temperature rises and the race is on to find the killer.
The characterisation is superb and, in some places, I found myself holding my breath.
The FBI are used and in some parts abused in this book and I found it quite refreshing to have them dealt with other than as a knight on a white charger or inept busybodies.
Get rid of the children, send the partner out, have a bottle of wine - definitely put the light on, and enjoy a damn good read for someone whose books get better every time!
p.s. if you haven't read the Survivors Club (different set of characters) try it - it is excellent.
on 8 January 2005
This truly has to be one of the best books I have ever read, to use the old cliché I really couldn't put it down for a second!!! I have to admit I picked this book truly by chance as the title was bold and a clear statement of the books contents. The author Lisa Gardner is truly amazing at bringing you straight into the book, leaving no gory details out at the grime scenes.
The basic plot is about an intelligent psycho murderer who kidnaps women in 2s, killing one quickly but leaving the other to suffer. However the killer has been silent for 3 years, until a body is dumped on an FBI base to be discovered by Kimberly, a young trainee. There is so much more I want to write about the plot, but I can't stand the though of giving something away.
This book is gripping in its twists and turns, there's even a romantic relationship, which you just wish will workout, amid the killing.
A truly unmissable book, it's so much more than just murder. It's clever, chilling, sometimes down right scary, it's well worth reading!!!
on 24 August 2003
Choose any superlative you like and apply it to this novel!!!
Character definition is FIRST CLASS.Dialogue is EXCELLENT.
The suspense factor is so WELL DONE I got "goose bumps"---and I have been reading suspense novels for thirty years!
I have read all Lisa Gardner's books and this is definately her best work to date.
In fact, the only problem I have with Lisa Gardner is that she can't write fast enough!!!
on 12 August 2003
I recently purchased this book and i was glad that i did. I couldnt put it down. The way the author, Lisa Gardner, describes the characters feelings and the settings is amazing. it feels like you are actually there. that you are actually one of them.
You can tell she put 110% commitment into this book - through research and actual feelings.
This is one, if not the best book, she has written. A must for anyone to buy if you like crime and thrillers and suspense.
An excellent book! Buy it now!!!
on 25 October 2004
this was a fantastic read. i liked the way she showed that its not safe even when travelling in pairs. I think it was great the way she showed new agent Quincy trying to make it despite having a nfather whose a legend within the FBI.
Absolutley fantstic to read
on 21 February 2016
I am probably a bit late to the game with this author, however better late than never!

This book came as recommendation (to start as a series as apparently the stories prior are not as good) and I can see why. It’s a tight, well planned and well structured thriller/crime story. It commences by following Kimberly through her FBI training programme where she is suddenly thrust into an unresolved serial killer case. Girls are being kidnapped in twos and the death of one has clues to the whereabouts of the other.

It’s a great race against the clock, with often gritty nail biting scenes that twist and turn all the way through. There is also effective use of the perspective of the killer that is so often missed by authors of the genre. Overall clever writing that I haven’t come across since reading Nesbo and am glad to have more installments to stick my teeth into, solid four stars!
VINE VOICEon 11 January 2013
The publishers of this author have the annoying habit of re-issuing Lisa Gardener's books as though they were a new release. Fortunately, I hadn't read this thriller originally published in 2003 which gave me a chance to see just where Kimberley Quincey fitted into the picture; I've come across her father, Pierce who is a regular in the author's stories.

By her later standards, this book moves in stops and starts, rather than giving the reader a constant hold on the main characters. In fact, there aren't too many characters in the book, although the body count of young girls reaches almost double figures, we know there is only one killer but we also discover that there are great many 'official' searchers for him which does cause no little confusion. Mainly, though, we stick with Kimberley Quincey and a Georgia police officer who, not surprisingly, finds himself attracted to the rather aggressive and headstrong novice FBI agent.

The mindset of the serial killer is, as ever, a strange one; it has to be, I suppose, in order to support the systematic killing of the young girls but I can't remove myself from the thought that these girls are, more or less, rag dolls, placed into the story to progress the hunt.

Still, if you are a Lisa Gardner fan - and I am and you haven't read this book, it's worth finding a copy, if only to see how both her writing and her characters have developed over the last ten years. In both cases, in my opinion, those two aspects have been a success, as, indeed, her new thrillers would justify.
on 21 August 2012
Lisa Gardiners many books of which I've read a few have always left me wanting more, and after a long break from her, I returned with the Killing Hour.
This book for me didn't really grip me until a good third of the way through, and up till then I knew better than to throw the towel in early, as Lisa has in the past got me memorised in what may happen.

The main characters of which there were a few all had a strong reason to pursue the killer, and go against FBI protocol, and the relationship between them grows as the book unfolds.

Tina's story had me feeling desperate all the way though to be found, her mind process throughout her hardest hours trapped in that swamp felt as though that's what could happen to a determined person struggling to survive, and through the twists that are in place , I found my heart sink thinking the worst.

A very enjoyable book with a totally different aspect of a serial killer, well worth a read
on 19 November 2004
i had previously read another of this authors books and so i started this one, it was absolutely wonderfull, the descriptions of places were great as was the romantic element. The end of the book leaves you feeling terrified and at the same time happy. A wonderfull book I can not wait to read another by Ms Gardner.
on 6 May 2004
One of the most griping books I have read lately. New agent Kimberly Quincy tries to catch a killer that kidnaps young women in pairs and kills one immediately leaving clues at the site to find the second one.
This is an extremely fast-paced book with several twists and turns, well-depicted characters and an awesome storyline. this one you cannot miss!