Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2012
I won't go into a very deep review with this, as we all know the question you want answered is, is this book another one all about sex? It's what we have come to expect from LKH in this series and this is what the book delivers, I do believe there to be a slither of hope however, as this book definitely focuses a lot more on the case during the first half of the novel, so maybe Laurell is finally thinking of tying everything up and getting back to 'old school' Anita. I guess we shall find out in the next few books.
on 13 August 2013
Laurel K Hamilton really should have ended this series about 8 books ago. The first 12 or so books were really good and I was hooked on them. Now the character has become completely unlikeable and it's hard to take the love/sex scenes seriously anymore. She is just a having sex with anything with a pulse, or not. The language is corny and clichéd and it's almost like someone else is writing them now. She should have quit while she was ahead and ended the book series on a high - as it is she's dragged the character down so far that now the books are quite frankly boring and predictable. She is constantly reinforcing the fact that Anita is a monster and almost revelling in it and I've reached the point where I am skimming through the book in the vague hope that it won't be as bad as her last attempt.

Laurel - you seriously need to put Anita out of her misery and think up a new character and book series as this one is so bad that it needs to be put down big style. I can't believe there is another book after this and to be honest I don't know if I could be bothered to read it.

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING.
on 12 August 2012
I hate to say it, I really do, but this is the worst Anita Blake novel out there. There is no real plotline other than a very weak barely there police related case and a tiny tiny bit of character development but not enough to fill a table spoon let alone the four hours it took me to read this. Totally unmemorable, disapointing and a waste of my money sadly. I would have still bought it in the future had I known in advance but for its current selling price and the price i bought it for... no. I regret spending over eight pounds for this book, I really do.

Sadly I'm starting to wonder if I should just drop the series. It was amazing starting out and even with the sudden addtion of erotica half way through the series I kept at it because I still enjoyed the plots and characters despite their oversexing in the novels at times. Unfortunately the author has not continued to deliver even close the same standard she had starting out. This book truly felt like one of those horrible tv filler episodes where nothing worthwhile happens except to remind the viewer of whats already occured and hints to where that might be leading... no real weight to them at all and this book is the litereary version for the Anita Blake series.

Very very disapointed.
on 21 June 2012
I was waiting for the release of the new Anita Blake book and went as far to buy it in hardback which is something i dont usually do,to say that i feel as if i have wasted my hard earned cash is putting it mildly,the book has no real plot and is boring, i thought that things would improve the further i got into the book but sadly this did not happen. I usually really enjoy the series but feel this book was a real let down, hence the one star.
on 8 June 2012
I like the Anita Blake novels, well I like most of them but recently they seem to be alternating between one good 'old style' novel involving the Anita of books 1-15ish and then we have something that looks like an exercise in relationship dynamics/fantasy wish fulfillment for romance novelists. This belongs in the latter camp but no doubt will appeal to those who like Anita 2.0. Sadly I am not an Anita 2.0 fan just as I am not a Merry Gentry fan as that contains much the same issues for me. I somehow feel that writing 'old style' Anita books does not do it for Ms Hamilton anymore and hey everyone has the right to get bored.
I will remain a fan/buyer but am hoping the next book will be more of a traditional Anita novel or alternaively maybe its time for the big kiss goodbye to Anita??
on 7 June 2012
I was going to write out a long drawn out review of this book but it all boils down to the fact that it is simply a bad book. Once again the plot is abandoned in favour of paint by numbers sex scenes that show no emotional involvement and try too hard to be edgy. Once more, intead of letting the reader see interesting plot points, we are treated to single paragraph info dumps that wrap up on going storylines with little or no background information. Once more Hamilton assumes that we can read her mind and know all the backstories and information she never bothers writing down. Once more we are treated to endless description of the characters hair, clothing and physical features instead of character and story development. And once more Hamilton rewrites her universe to prove that Anita is the biggest and best at everything despite every logic fail possible. In a way its very sad. This series used to be one of my favourites and one I'd go back to repeatedly but this book has proven to me that Hamilton is out of ideas and is beating a dead horse. Its such a shame because the starting plot of this story was good but it gets lost in the endless angst and needless sex. Such a shame.
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2012
I am one of those fans that began that journey from book 1 of the Anita Blake series and loved them.

Along the way they have turned into sex obsessed books and not what I hoped as a horror fan. Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 21)[[ASIN:0755388984]. Kiss the Dead pulled me in with an interesting but slightly weak storyline. It then went the way of many of her recent books - a substantial amount of sex with a little bit of story added at the end of the book to finish the story. I was disappointed and am now reviewing my choice of authors. All I ask for is a stronger, less sex filled story with some surprises. If only the author would revisit her early books and find that strength again
on 16 August 2012
was really looking forward to some of the original action from the first book, at first i thought we were going to get it and it would be anita at her best again .. i really like this series but it needs to get back to what made it that way.. get anita back to her detective skills, necromancy and possibly even delve into her relationship with her father... please Ms hamilton can we have more of the old style police/zombie work .. all in all it was a good read but i found it lacking the spark that i like about this series ..
on 10 June 2012
My mother always taught me that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Therefore I feel really guilty writing this review but feel it's my duty to inform readers who want an opinion.

I am sooo disappointed I don't even know where to begin! I am a MAJOR Anita Blake fan and have read, and re-read books 1-20 numerous times. I pre-ordered this book months ago eagerly anticipating the next dilemma in Anita's life. After the destruction of the Mother of Darkness in Hit List I wondered what new catastrophe would find Anita. Well apparently...none!

The book starts off well enough and the ending is ok but the middle (about 85%) is a load of filling, character assassination, unnecassary sex and twaddle!

If you are an Anita fan, I'm sure you will want to read this but, like previous reviews state, its more like a novella. A long, overpriced novella! I would suggest you reserve a copy from your local library free of charge, rather than waste your money on this book. I wish I had!

Sorry Ms Hamilton, this is simply the worst Anita book written. Lets hope you find your muse again and the next book will be more up to your usual standard!
on 13 June 2012
I just finished this book and, far from being a page turner, it's turned into something to get through just in case there's something good in it. Unfortunately the answer seems to be no. I really enjoyed the first half of this series, the characters developed and the plot lines were good. The best of thriller and paranormal combined, not just a chick lit book but something for everyone. Sadly the later books seem to be just lots of scenes where Anita has sex with numerous partners, usually because she refuses to manage the ardeur, then we have reams of her self indulgent regrets.

None of the characters have moved on, we're told by other characters that Anita has never been so happy but still her thoughts are depressing and self indulgent, she has a stable of sexy men to choose from for whom she is the most important woman. She has her favourites but still sleeps with many, now that Marmee Noire is dead who is the protagonist? Some faceless master vamp and his human servant along with some baby vamps who're no match for the combined talents of Anita and her men.

If you want a lot of sex, depressing thoughts and pale characters, this book will deliver.