Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 October 2013
Love the way this guy writes. Almost feels like you could be in that period. Excellent story and characters. Can't wait for next 1.
on 17 December 2012
I loved this book and as always James Forrester keeps you gripped. I loved the ending and very fitting for an excellent trilogy.
on 11 September 2013
Having now read all three volumes of this trilogy, I must say that I am disappointed in how the third volume starts and ends. We learn at the very beginning that Clarenceux has died. We then get taken back over the weeks preceding his death, and leading to his death. Given what we already know at the start, this leads to a very depressing and morbid read.

Clarenceux is even more outspoken in this volume about his religion than in previous volumes, even to the point of being irritating. I can understand that people might have acted like this in the past, but the other characters don't seem to be like this all the time. They all seem rigidly secular and fixed on getting their way in this world, not some hypothetical next.

On the other hand, the writing is immaculate and the story well told, though Walsingham is absent from most of the book and is mainly ineffectual. One can't help thinking that the whole affair would have been handled differently, though. Given the amount of evidence against Lady Percy, I don't think things were handled in an optimal way in the plot. Only historical hindsight---that Lady Percy was not tried and executed at this point---could dictate the way the plot proceeds.

So, a good but depressing read. And a long one, if you have read all three volumes only to end here.
on 15 May 2013
I found this book utterly convincing though very sad. I cannot believe how cruel people were to each other in Tudor times.
on 14 September 2016
Exciting and well written but somewhat overlong an far fetched at times, nevertheless I enjoyed it and the other two books
on 25 February 2014
A must read. Very well written, it take you back into Elizabethan times. A shame really that there were only three books.
on 8 April 2013
Such a great pity that the final curtain on this vey readble series with such a believable main character has ended.
on 16 December 2012
I really enjoyed it. One of the best historical writers around, and I can't wait for more books. Great ending!
on 17 May 2015
This is a wonderful book. I enjoyed reading this and will do again. A great read. Delighted with this.
on 9 September 2014
Brilliant,( as allways ), from start to finish !, very hard to put down !.