Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2015
In my teenage years I loved the Artemis Fowl series, and I continued to keep up with each release until the series' climax in 2012. The books were easy to read, they seemed well researched and planned and never failed to make me laugh.

With that in mind I was extremely excited to read Colfer's foray into adult fiction and in all honesty I was quite disappointed with his resulting attempt. I completed the book in 2 days, more to finish it than out of actual curiosity.

The protagonist (Dan McEvoy) is quite likeable but his background story is a little unconvincing with new details introduced conveniently throughout the book, almost as an afterthought. In contrast to his Artemis Fowl series this book reads as if it was written without much planning, almost organically as Colfer imagined up his several plot lines, which intersect again in quite unconvincing ways. There's nothing worse in a work of fiction than when a protagonist's problems are all solved within a chapter or two, without much explanation and in unrealistic ways (those who read the book will understand!). The criminals (and actually even McEvoy) seem like unprofessional buffoons who owe most of their success to dumb luck or incompetent policing.

I've rated the book 3 stars as it was still mildly entertaining to read and I love Eoin Colfer as an author, I just wish that this book had more semblance to the style, clever plot ideas and comprehensiveness of the Artemis Fowl series.

Despite being disappointed with this book I will most likely read the sequel, just to see if it's an improvement on this effort! If you are looking for a reincarnation of the Artemis Fowl series, I don't think that you will find it here.
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I can't say whether this will please Colfer's fans because I haven't read his kids' books. Taken purely on its own merits, Plugged mixes humour and darkness in a way that will delight some readers and antagonise others. As a fan of Raymond Chandler, I loved it.

The plot is implausible, but that goes for most intricate thrillers. What's important is that Colfer allows the reader to suspend his disbelief as the body count rises and the plot twists carry the story in unexpected directions.

Much of the humour comes from the hero's unmistakably Irish take on events, so he stands slightly apart from the American setting and bridges the reader's own separation from the culture where it takes place. Dan's sensitivity over his hair loss is a running theme, and his obsession with that keeps him from becoming too immersed in the world of crime that tries to suck him in.

Colfer's style is light and easy, with plenty of witty banter to keep the story bright and making for an easy, but not trivial, read.
on 6 November 2011
Let me start off by saying I have a degree in English Lit and Creative Writing; therefore, I've read a lot of great books and spent most of my life writing stories.
The AF series couldn't be topped- even if it was a "children" series. The AF novels still remain some of the best books I have ever read. However, Plugged was far from disappointing. The character, Daniel, is solid and 3D. He jumps off the page, due to his flaws and likes. He can be pictured clearly in the mind's eye. I think Plugged would make a great movie because of this.
The other characters are also excellent. They are all well developed and I couldn't call any of them boring.
Like in AF, there are so many twists and loops that it keeps you guessing. Instead of magic, we have intelligence and guns. Colfer's humour is, as always, spot on. I took this book on holiday and read it in two sittings. I read it again recently and I gobbled it up once again.
For those of you who think this isn't an adult's book...would you let your children read about murder, sex, drugs and war? If so, I suggest you seek help.
Personally, I hope this gets a sequel. 5/5
on 17 April 2012
I have not read Eoin Colfers other books. If I understand them correctly they are children books so to compare this one to them would be of limited interest.

"Plugged" is one of those books that are very easy to read. It does not demand anything from you. You just go with the flow. It is not complicated and for once there is no extreme terrorists or super villains involved, just ordinary crooks and ordinary citizens. With this Colfer has managed to create a very funny, interesting and rapid read that is perfect to relax with when you take a break from working on your CV or the next Nobel price. I hope he will continue with more books with Daniel McEvoy as the main character. I will definitely buy them.
on 21 May 2017
Ideal for holiday reading. Great believable characters , and the constantly changing unexpected outcomes make for a brilliant entertaining story.
on 23 September 2015
Just what I expected
on 28 May 2015
Excellent book in the series and well written.
on 20 June 2013
From the author of Artemis Foul I was intrigued to read a more grown up book from Eoin Colfer. An interesting story with promise of further journeys for an ex-soldier, just wanting an easy life. Was the story written with Jason Statham in mind? Probably. The storyline was a bit jumpy in places but that said an easy read.
on 19 February 2012
Eoin Colfer has created a new hero here,very enjoyable ride.This book is a very easy read.Ideal if want an easy read thats not to taxing on the grey matter.Our hero is still dealing with his past in the irish peace corps.When he encounters a whole heap of trouble providing security at a Casio.Lots of laughs,lots of action.Looking forward to the next caper.
on 29 November 2014
liked this a lot. likable character, enough depth to keep you interested whilst staying entertaining. if you're looking for a crime drama to read on and off on your commute, this is for you.