on 3 May 2015
Enjoyable enough but underwhelming when compared to Alison Hewitt is Trapped. It's set in the same world and Alison, who we know and love from the previous book, gets a mention or two but this is really Sadie's story. Unfortunately Sadie is a lot of promise that never really delivers. She has knowledge of outdoor pursuits and survival skills but doesn't use them. She creates a bow and arrows which work effectively and then doesn't use them. She stands by very puzzled as the ten little Indians stuff is going on and she's pretty sure she knows where it's coming from but doesn't act. It's really frustrating. Meanwhile her fluctuating hormones over two potential male companions when she swears all she wants to do is look after her nephew is just baffling.

My biggest niggle is that none of the other characters are fully rounded. I'm sure the author was trying to make us suspect everyone, instead they all came across as flat and not very engaging. When the grand reveal occurred it wasn't a surprise - I'd been waiting for it for at least thirty pages.

So a lot of annoying stuff. However this is still a good read and a pretty engaging survival story. Sadie's voice keeps you reading and if the plot is a bit jerky and uncoordinated with sub plots that go nowhere - well you could always be losing brain cells watching the x-factor. Seriously if you like a good survivor/ zombie novel this has plenty to keep you entertained. I would just have liked a bit more plot and character development especially on the 'rabbits' but perhaps we can hope for that in book three?
on 16 August 2012
I loved Alison Hewitt is Trapped - the only reason Sadie Walker is Stranded got 4 stars was because in my opinion it wasn't quite as good as the first book, but it was still excellent. We see the events of the Zombie Apocalypse from a different perspective this time. It has been several months since the initial outbreak and Sadie is in Seattle, looking after her newly orphaned nephew, in a city that is slowly trying to rebuild itself and the community. For reasons I won't go into, the zombies make it back into the city and Sadie, with the help of her friend Andrea, is forced to flee whilst looking for her nephew Shane, who has been kidnapped.

Sadie and a group of others make their escape by boat and ultimately end up on another island where their survival skills are truly put to the test. With little food or water or shelter, they are pushed to the limits but then stumble upon another group of survivors and that is when things get interesting. Then this book ceases to be just another zombie novel about people trying to survive - it becomes a bit of a murder mystery / romance / horror story too and I enjoyed the different pace of this book. Everything happening on an island with few inhabitants was different and I felt the author did a really good job of it.

There are plenty of twists and turns, who dunnits and action to keep you happy if not slightly less zombie action than I was expecting - in some parts it really did seem a bit too light on the zombie action and the zombies less terrifying than I'm used too, just a little too easy to put down maybe? Thats the only criticism I have.

Overall - a pretty damn good zombie book, a good follow up (it was nice to see some connection between the 2 books although you couldn't call this a sequel to the first book, more a companion novel) and a very enjoyable read. I do hope the author decides to write more from this series, after all I would really like to know what happens to Alison and Sadie, or to witness the zombie apocalypse from a new kick-ass girls perspective1
One person found this helpful
on 26 November 2012
Oh dear. Somewhere between the excellent Allison Hewitt is Trapped and Sadie Walker is Stranded, this series lost its charm.

The first book was a compilation of blog entries to which other survivors were able to respond, which neatly explained both how and why Allison Hewitt took the time to write up her experiences amongst the limb-cleaving bloodshed. SWIS returns to simple first-person narrative without explaining how the story is being committed to text. For me, that left a glaring hole in the story, particularly since the blog was a clever and engaging plot device.

The opening sequence, in which Seattle is invaded by zombies shortly after a fight-to-the-death between the title character and her boyfriend as he tries to kidnap her nephew, is, as you can imagine, exciting. Unfortunately, the book unravels quickly after the small group of survivors escape the breached city by boat.

I was unable to spend any more time with the cringe-worthy chick-lit stereotypes beyond the half way point of the book, despite repeated attempts to overcome the urge to leave it on the floor.
on 6 March 2013
I love the first book an as soon as I'd finished that one, I picked up this one. It was a little slow going at the start but I think that was mainly because of going straight from Allison and all her dreams near the end of the book, to a brand new storyline that had to establish its characters.

Give it a try, zombie fans. If you've read the first book than great, you'll understand some more of the references but this is by no means a sequel. If you have read the first book, this is more a novel than a collection of blogs but don't let that deter you.

I've not researched it at all but I hope that there will be a third book just over the horizon; maybe trying all the survivors stories together (even more I mean).
on 10 February 2013
Real escapism. No pun intended. I think Madeleine Roux is up there as one of the best writers of this genre I've come across. I am eagerly awaing a producer to cotton on to her two book as films. Get it right and they'd be thrilling. Most Zombie novels are 'samey'. Roux is fresh and heart-stopping. You care immediately about all the characters and don't want to lose any of them. Which, of course, you will!!!!
on 27 March 2013
I loved the first novel by this author so was very keen to read this follow up. This book was an engrossing and enjoyable read, featuring the main characters adventures on an island populated by both friends and foe (not just the zombies!).
on 11 August 2013
I bought this as I really enjoyed Alison Hewitt is trapped. Compared to the first novel, it took a little more time to get into. But when i did get into it i was very much into it. Couldn't put it down for hours. I will be reading the rest of Madeline Roux's books.
on 18 June 2014
I didn't like this book, personally I found the main character annoying, the story is silly and in the end is the silliest story I have ever read.
on 26 October 2016
A zombie diary style of book, one you won't want to put down.
on 21 February 2013
I WASN'T SURE IF MADELEINE ROUX'S SECOND BOOK WOULD LIVE UP TO HER FIRST BUT I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED… DIFFERENT STYLE BUT JUST AS GRIPPING. READ IT IN 2 DAYS - FAB!