Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 November 2012
Best Man of Mystery yet.. They are all good books but this one is the best. Sometimes just wish they were longer.. or i read them slower!
on 7 January 2013
I'm been an avid reader of all of Colin Bateman's books for some years now and he's still one of those authors whose books I order as soon as they are released. I should really get myself on some mailing list so I know sooner although it's a nice surprise when I trawl through Amazon and see there's something new by him out. It always cheers me to find out.

Mystery Man is one of those characters who often defy belief. He's the kind of person you'd probably steer clear of at the best of times and like those guys in High Fidelity, real ale devotees and ski instructors he looks down on anyone who's not up to his level which isn't many. It's never really made clear how he remains in the murder book industry being so nasty to his customers. It's also hard to decide why his long suffering girlfriend (tm) remains with him. I'd have kicked him into touch years ago. However on he goes with girlfriend, new born son (he's pretty sure it's his but 100% positive), trusty side kick/lacky and mad mother and tries to solve another case.

Much like the other Mystery Man novels you'd be wise to suspend your belief at quite how he goes around solving these mysteries. Like Bateman's other novels the art is in the writing. The banter between characters fizzes by and there's enough one liners to have you chortling to yourself on the train into work. Certainly Bateman's ability to write hasn't diminished and there's enough cultural references to keep you going. Sometimes I'd like the narrator not to explain why he's called himself after the author of the first ever hard boiled detective novel. Let the reader find out...

However this is probably the first of the books I've come away from not feeling entirely satisfied. There are too many plot holes (even more than normal) in the case of the murder of Fat Sam and the discovery of the identity of the piano playing man in white.

I won't go into spoilers and mentioning Fat Sam and the Man in White certainly doesn't do that. There are other areas I'd have liked to have been better explained such as the odd contents of one of the rooms in his house.

Like many other first person narrators through the history of literature you have to take it at the word of the Mystery Man himself about what is true and what is made up and put forward by someone who takes enough medication to floor a horse. It could all be false. He could have made the whole thing up!

If it's worth reading it's worth reading to see what happens next. I won't say anything more....
This is, I believe, the last of the Mystery Man series, and I am sad about that as I have enjoyed them all immensely. This book has divided my opinions however. I loved nearly all of it, except the very end. I am not going to give any spoilers away in my review, but I have to say that I would have wished for a different ending. The rest of the book I found incredibly satisfying and probably the funniest of the four books. I particularly liked the repartee between Mystery Man and the ex SAS chap, which I have quoted extensively, to the annoyance of all my friends and relatives.
on 27 February 2013
Grab yourself a cup of tea, crack open a twix, sit back and enjoy. This has Bateman trademarked crime all over it. All the usual ingredients but another cracking original tale with a bit of wit from the Mystery Man.

Imagine buying meat, carrot and onions and putting them all in a pan every night and something very different and really tasty comes out - that is what Bateman is great at!
on 7 April 2014
What can I say - except I love this book - the entire series has had me laughing out loud and getting some very strange looks from people nearby - When notorious gangster 'Fat Sam' Mahood is murdered, the chief suspect is arrested nearby. But he seems to have suffered a breakdown. Incarcerated in a mental institution, he's known only as the Man in the White Suit. The suspect remains an enigma until Nurse Brenda calls on Mystery Man, former patient and owner of No Alibis, Belfast's finest mystery bookshop, to bring his powers of investigation to bear... However, before our hero can even begin, the Man in the White Suit is arrested for the murder of a fellow patient. But is he a double murderer or a helpless scapegoat? Intrigue, conspiracy, and ancient Latin curses all combine to give the Small Bookseller with No Name his most difficult case to date
on 4 August 2016
I've read a couple of Bateman's books now, both stand alone and series, and this is by far the best. What an amazing conclusion to an excellent quadrilogy of books in the Mystery Man series. I didn't have much hope for this after reading the rather bland Dr Yes but I couldn't put this down. It has a humour about it which reminds me of the first novel in the series, Mystery Man, the novel which attracted me so much to Bateman's writing. A must read for any fan.
on 1 May 2014
Another Mystery Man tale that will have you laughing out loud. If you've enjoyed the previous Novels with this wacky hero then you won't be disappointed - he is as awful(ly hilarious) as ever and the repartee between him and his girlfriend is just as fun although there's a slight twist as far as his crazy persona is concerned... Especially as he has to get himself locked up in the dreaded mental institution where he spent a part of his teenage years in order to solve his latest case. I through this one really quickly and was curious to see how our favourite nutty detective was going to turn out.... The end certainly surprised me, but had me feeling strangely disapponited too. I think the plot is not really up to Bateman's other books but you go with it for the wacky characters, cruel wit and outrageous behaviour of the main character. And you can't help but wonder what's going to happen after this one....
on 16 February 2013
I am ahuge Bateman fan and looked forward to this. I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this in a long time. Brilliant characters, wonderful writing. I seldom laugh out loud when I'm reading but found myself doing so on many occasions. Sad that it's the end of the line for the Mystery Man but sure that Bateman will continue to produce these works of genius!
on 24 December 2012
Bateman returns as good as ever with a highly unlikely but extremely enjoyable tale of the man in the white suit. He solves the mystery in his own unique way with the help of Jeff, Mother, Alison and interference from his nemesis DI Robinson. Along the way, can the Mystery Man conquer his neurosis?? Great read, chuckled inwardly on a regular basis, albeit not as often in previous books.
on 12 December 2014
I'm giving this five stars, but I haven't yet finished it!

Love Colin Bateman and I'm a complete addict when it comes tohis books. I've yet to come across one that I haven't liked, so hope this will continue the trend