Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 March 2012
Like a number of his other fans, I've found the last few of JK's books rather weaker than his early output - still very enjoyable, but somehow not quite measuring up to the best of his work. With Victims, Kellerman proves that he still has what it takes. I read it in a day (the same day I received it), and just couldn't put it down. I think Kellerman is at his best when he concentrates more on the psychological aspects of crime, as he does to such superb effect in three of my favourite titles: Over the Edge, Bad Love, and Monster. Victims has some of the elements of all three (no spoilers here, though), yet it is far from being simply a re-hash of earlier work. As always, Kellerman paints vivid word-pictures of both settings and characters with a few well-chosen descriptive words (having read all his books, I now feel as if I know LA intimately, without ever having been there). However, like the good story-teller he is, he lets the dialogue tell the actual story: we get to know the characters through their words just as much as through their actions. And he is not afraid to let his main protagonists, Alex and Milo, be upstaged a little by Alex's girlfriend, Robin, whose flash of insight sets them on the right path to making sense of a series of gruesome yet apparently random murders. Nor is he afraid to let us see how much dealing with monsters takes its toll on people like Alex and Milo. Kellerman never 'dumbs down': he treats his readers as intelligent people capable of understanding that some monsters, no matter how terrible their actions, do also deserve our compassion - and that is no mean feat.
on 12 March 2012
Over the years I've waxed and waned on Kellerman novels. Overall they are well-constructed, the author obviously knows his stuff but I got to a point where the perpetual grinding out of such gruesome crimes kind of got to me a bit and I didn't rush to read them as I once might.

So I was pleasantly surprised that I found this one so enjoyable. It is a fairly horrific scenario - unimaginably horrid crime scenes, inexplicable acts of man's inhumanity to man, but written in a compelling way that makes you want to know who did such a thing and why. All the usual elements are there: the usual characters (Milo, Petra, Moe, Shaun) and the tried-and-tested unravelling of the crime : research victims, visit relatives, find dead-ends, unusual links between them, Milo given grief by the Powers that be etc. But overall this leads to a pleasing and logical story with not a little bit of pathos in there. I agree with other reviewers that Kellerman is back on form.

So - if I enjoyed it so much , why only 4 stars?

Publicists take note: the epithet of "The Crime Reader" irritates me beyond reason. It is not referred to in the books and only appeared fairly recently on the covers. Will someone in Kellermans publicity team please drop this immediately as it adds nothing.
on 3 March 2012
Finished this off in a day so there is no doubt that it is utterly readable. If you haven't come across Kellerman before you are in for a treat with this book. The writing is stylish, the characters compelling and the plot gripping. I admire Kellerman's determination to ensure that the story doesn't cut corners... one dimensional 'baddies' are boring and banal and you will not find them in this book. If I have one very small criticism it would be that I would have liked a little bit more of the 'why'... I accept that sometimes this is not possible and we are left with unanswered questions (probably a good thing as it makes us think) and being 'spoon fed' is no fun but in the case of one of the main antagonists we really don't have any information at all and that didn't work particularly well for me. Overall though this is a vastly entertaining book and as stylishly cool as Kellerman always is.
on 8 August 2012
*Victims* is an ingenious, sophisticated and harrowing psychological thriller which takes us into the darkest depths of a human mind so brutal and so lethal that even the most hardened detectives are shocked and sickened by the series of gruesome killings described in this new episode of the "Crime Reader".

Clinical psychologist and best-selling author Jonathan Kellerman turns crime writing into an art form. He doesn't waste too much time in character introspection or other narrative decoration, but plunges us readers straight into the gripping action, with twists and turns, excellent police procedural detail and emotional rides - making *Victims* an utterly satisfying experience. The author blends the addictive rhythms of the classic crime novel with chilling glimpses into the darkest depths of the human condition, interspersing the ingredients with style, intelligence, logic and compassion.

I can't stay away from Kellerman... and why should I? I'm a veteran fan.
on 17 October 2012
I read a book every week or two,and like most people,have my favourite genre of book,and favourite authors.Jonathan kellerman,and his Alex Delaware books,used to be right up there in my favourite list.But if I'm honest,the books don't seem to have the same quality.I don't know what it is,and I can't put my finger on what's missing,but something is.
It seems like maybe the series has reached the end.The writing quality is still as good,which gives me hope,but the stories don't have the same excitement and the characters seem tired and don't have the same appeal,as the earlier books.And at times I found my mind wandering as I was reading this book.
on 10 April 2013
I have been a Jonathan Kellerman fan since the first one I read, way back when and am pleased to say that this is as good as anything he has ever done. The story is well paced and plotted, with interesting if not always sympathetic characters and plenty of twists to keep the reader hooked and guessing. Readers who enjoy Sue Grafton, Harlan Coben, Robert Crais and other writers of crime will really like this and I would definitely recommend it.
on 17 April 2012
After being a Kellerman/Alex Delaware fan since the first book, i have to say that i had felt that the last few Alex Delaware books had got a bit tired.
However, this new book reverses the trend. A good story, well written - found it hard to put down.
'Victims' is Kellerman back at his best.
on 8 July 2015
Long carefully plotted detection of a serial killer started with a gory murder of an aggressive woman working through other victims linked back in time with an unusual killer. The case is cleverly developed believable and one of the author's best.
on 11 April 2013
ANOTHER JONATHAN KELLERMAN ROLLICKING GOOD TALE. THANK GOODNESS HE CAN STILL COME UP WITH THEM. THIS ONE IS A BIT MORE GORY, BUT THEN THAT IS LIFE. I DO HOPE HE DOESN'T GET TOO STUCK IN THE GORY FOR THRILLS RUT THOUGH.
on 12 March 2013
I've been a bit disappointed by the recent books I've read by this author.They read like he wasn't giving them his full concentration,his heart only half in it,but with this book he seems back to his best.Due to the improvement I will stick with Kellerman and hope his next book is as good