on 16 February 2015
I usually love this series but this time the author has summoned Inspector Ikmen and his colleague, Mehmet Suleyman, to an international police conference in the decaying American city of Detroit. Huge areas of the city are derelict and even the hotel in which they are staying is partly used for homeless people and crime ridden. Almost immediately they are approached by an American who believes he is descended from Turks and who wants justice for his son, shot dead years ago. When Ikmen,s enquiries with the police lead to further killings, he feels unable to return to Istanbul with his colleague. Mehmet Suleyman hates Detroit and returns to Turkey, leaving Ikmen to face considerable danger alone. Suleiman also faces some soul searching of his own when he finds two of his colleagues in a relationship of which he disapproves. Definitely not one of my favourites of the series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 February 2014
I like this series and the exoticism of Instanbul but I equally enjoyed this book. Detroit may not be exotic but it is foreign to what I know and I think Ms Nadel has done a good job of exploring its underbelly. Our two intrepid detectives have been sent to a conference in Detroit and meet a Melungeon who believes that he is descended from Turks and that only Turkish detectives can solve the 30 year old murder of his son. Events spiral from this. Despite there being several bodies I found this to be a slow burner, where events unfold slowly, piece by piece to a finale. It is a great read - tense and compulsive and I found myself in full "just another chapter" mode until I finished.
on 31 July 2012
I like to choose some of my crime writers for trips on my Kindle to cities I used to be able to visit - preferably somewhere rather warmer than England so - Dona Leon and Commissario Brunetti take me back to Venice; Magdalen Nabb to Florence. Barbara Nadel and Inspector Ikmen were brilliant in Turkey .I did manage his visit to England in her last book but, this time, sadly, we are taken to Detroit in the depths of winter and like Inspector Suleyman who accompanies him to a police congress, I can't wait to get back to Istanbul . I would usually give her 5 stars but I am sorry, not this time.
on 27 December 2013
Set in Detroit, Ikmen and Suleyman travel to a police conference and become embroilled in a cold murder case involving the son of an old man with Turkish ancestory. The storyline construction is rather clumsy and Nadel (and Ikmen) don't quite feel at home. The backstory on the rise and fall of Detroit and the impact on the society, communities and very fabric of the city is interesting but overall the book seems like too far a departure for the author and her stoic Ikmen. Will be pleased to see them all back in Instabul next time.
on 7 October 2013
I have to read Barbara's books twice. Once to get to 'who done it' and then secondly to enjoy the language, the scene setting,the characters and the plot. Then it goes on my bookshelf and I will read it again and still find something new months later
on 17 December 2012
Disappointing- Nadel seems to think that by adding another ethnic compononent to the story, that is enough (In this case an American group that claims descent from Ottoman sailors ). The crime thread- which is why we read it on the whole- is very lame and the outcome easily guessed. Not one to recommend.
on 30 August 2012
Not one of Nadel's best Ikmen novels but good enough. Those who have enjoyed the earlier ones in the series have no choice here as the doing of the Istanbul murder squad has some interesting and unexpected twists and turns. As ever, Nadel keeps 2 stories running at the same time, and as well as ever.

**** for Nadel groupies

** for newcomers
on 15 March 2015
It was interesting to read another side of our detective being involved in a different city and a different type of crime. Again we are learning from these books which I really enjoy.
on 18 April 2012
I really enjoy the Ikmen books, but a big part of that is the Istanbul setting and culture which I missed here. The plot was still enjoyable with the characters and Detroit interesting but I hope we're back in Istanbul next time.
on 11 May 2015