Customer reviews

on 11 November 2012
This book wasn't what we thought it would be.

What isn't made clear is that the basics - roasting, slow cooking and so on, those things that are special to the Aga style of cooking - are not covered. Presumably this edition is meant to follow on from the original book? But that's hard to find...

There is a comprehensive section on choosing your Aga and where to install it, which perhaps isn't too relevant to a cookbook as you'll probably have gone into all this before buying this book. After that it's just a series of recipes, basically for the Aga but with instructions added for users of conventional cookers. Surely that defeats the point? What we'd hoped to see was recipes which, if not unique to the Aga, exploited the special features and which would be difficult to reproduce with an everyday cooker.

Think twice before buying this - it may not be what you're looking for.
on 17 August 2009
An excellent starter book for someone who's just acquired an Aga and doesn't know where to begin. This volume opens with reassuring diagrams of the two- and four-oven Aga, and explains what part of the range is for what purpose. Then a quick jaunt through some fundamental principles, and finally a selection of useful recipes.

Just the sort of book to stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, and instil the necessary confidence to get going and get cooking on your Aga.
on 4 February 2014
We purchased a new house with an Aga already in it. Having no idea what to do this book is excellent for the basics for novices such as myself and gives wonderful recipes throughout.
on 26 August 2013
I bought this for a friend who was moving away to the country and was inheriting an Aga stove. As she had always cooked on electric stoves I thought who better than Mary Berry to advise. My trust was not misplaced and the book appears to give just the right amount of advice to enable an experienced cook to make the changeover from another source of fuel. It might be slightly less helpful to a new cook as there are not quite enough pictures for every receipe but generally an excellent kitchen tool.
on 23 October 2011
Exactly as expected, very informative to the AGA owner.Would recommend it to any food enthusiast even if they do not have an AGA.
on 10 February 2013
I have the original version of this and bought the "New...." for my son who has moved into a house with an AGA. Initially I was a bit disappointed that it didn't appear to have all the basic recipes of the old version. Then, I realised it was written and created with today's eating styles in mind and was just terrific. So, I bought a second one; this time for myself. One difference is that it give cooking directions for standard ovens so it is a good book for non AGA owners as well.
on 31 December 2009
This book is well presented and provides useful advice to people unused to cooking on an Aga.
on 17 February 2013
Not just an excellent book of recipes but a fund of knowledge on how to get the best out of using your Aga. My own copy is my 'go to' book so I bought this one for my sister. Mary Berry is not a celebrity chef, she's a professional cook of many years' standing and vastly experienced. These skills are reflected in this book. Buy it!
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2013
I bought this because we were moving to the country and would be facing a never-experienced-before Redfyre cooker. The book was a great help to get over those initial nerves of experimenting with how to cook a simple dinner! Now that I'm an 'old hand' I must try a few more daring recipes!
on 12 January 2015
This purchase was considered as item was second hand. However I needn't have worried. The book was obviously not new but in good condition & I was very happy! This was originally going to be a Xmas present but not good enough to give as not new. However my daughter was delighted