on 9 August 2017
I am one quarter of the way through this book and I am gripped. I love reading books about the training (and subsequent career) of healthcare professionals, doctors and dentists. This story is told from the perspective of an experienced midwife who trained to be a midwife when a prerequisite for the training was to be a qualified nurse (and hats were worn). The writing style is lovely and Maria's story flows very well. I took this book camping with me and laid in the tent reading chunks at a time. I recommend it!
on 4 August 2015
A candid and warm book, that describes the everywomen midwife, amusing anecdotes from the coal face, hard work and humour. I couldn't put it down...buy it and enjoy.
on 17 June 2017
Good
on 19 May 2017
Wonderful book.
on 12 August 2017
Good condition
on 8 March 2012
I have never been so engrossed in a biography before, this is a 'cant put down read' From the early days of Maria's career as a student nurse, to becoming a student midwife (who thought she wouldn't cut it!) then onto community, working with prisoners, women from such diverse backgrounds and faith even working with children becoming mothers themselves. This book offers an incredible insight into the life of a modern day midwife, Maria recalls some hilarious antidotes, poignant memories and some awkward situations all while attending each situation with her trademark red lippy. You can not help but read this book in a Geordie accent!! Maria's writing is incredibly witty, well put together and flows beautifully, whether you work in the field or not, this book is for everyone.
on 13 August 2012
This book is worth a read. I enjoyed Maria's very honest account of midwifery dating back to the 1980's. She seems to put an awful lot of herself into each delivery. It is extremely apparent she does care for the woman and babies she helps to look after and deliver into this world. This is a refreshing thought when nowadays it seems quite a few young up and coming health professionals do not seem to understand the concept of being a nurse/midwife means you do actually have to care for the patients you look after. (To be a good one anyway!)
I enjoyed the stories about the more disadvantaged members of our society and her duty of care towards them whilst being careful not to judge them, a very hard postion to be in I can only imagine.
I do agree with other reviews that the book was a little simplistic and did gloss over quite a few points but as a quick and gentle insight into the life of a midwife it did open my eyes and will make me review how I would behave if I ever have the chance to be in the labour ward with my daughter or sister. A good read.
on 4 April 2012
I read this via my kindle and what a read it was.
From start to finish it had my total interest. Although Maria wrote a little bit about her personal life, training and her family, it was so interesting.
Her stories of births were heartwarming, sometimes funny, some sad. The way she related her first visits to the maternity wards as a trainee had me laughing, oh dear I thought, how is she going to cope. She has proved herself though to be a first rate midwife with an excellent caring nature.
This was a good book and I would recommend it to anyone.
on 2 April 2012
Tales of a Midwife is a fantastic read. A laugh a minute on how a young geordie lass from Jarrow achieved her dream to be come a Midwife. An insight guide on the in's and out's of a NHS Nurse, on what she had to do and learn to pass her exams. Top notch book and well worth a read.
on 3 March 2012
I cannot recommend this book enough. I read this book so quickly as I could not put it down. As a mother of two young girls, having the opportunity to understand the role and extended role of a midwife was wonderful. I laughed and cried at the trials and tribulations that Maria went through as an extremely dedicated midwife, wife, friend, mother etc. A must read!!!!!!!